Currently reading
PuTTY, Reverse Proxy, and my Raspberry Pi Web Server

NAS
DS920+, DS215j
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I have a DS920+ and the reverse proxy is doing many good things. I have a Raspberry Pi web server in my local network that's accessible through the NAS reverse proxy no problem. I want to use PuTTY to SSH into the Raspberry Pi from outside my LAN through the reverse proxy using port 443 and https://ssh.<myURL>.com. I want the reverse proxy to forward the connection to the Raspberry Pi's internal IP address using port 22. The Raspberry Pi authenticates with a certificate. I've tinkered with PuTTY's setup (session, proxy, SSH etc) and can't get a connection at all. I can SSH into the Raspberry Pi insde my LAN no problem. The Pi has Ubuntu 20.04, a LAMP stack and a Drupal website and is working perfectly. I don't want to open any ports other than 80 and 443 on the router.

Am I attempting the impossible? Any advice greatly appreciated.

By default SSH will not be accessible directly over RP, so its all good on your end. This is expected.

The way I have sorted this (also via 443 over RP) is by using ShellNGN solution. Works perfect while inside LAN as well as outside (with VPN or over RP). Replaced all my VNC, RDP, SSH needs from anywhere.

Upvote 0
By default SSH will not be accessible directly over RP, so its all good on your end. This is expected.

The way I have sorted this (also via 443 over RP) is by using ShellNGN solution. Works perfect while inside LAN as well as outside (with VPN or over RP). Replaced all my VNC, RDP, SSH needs from anywhere.

Thanks Rusty I'll look into it.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.