1. RT1900ac
  2. RT2600ac
  3. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Rusty submitted a new resource:

PXE boot via Synology NAS - Tutorial on booting up various OS and startup ISO images using PXE method on your Synology

This tutorial will cover detail instructions on how to configure and setup your NAS to be a PXE boot server for your LAN. Keep in mind that this is a tutorial that I wrote back 5y now, but it still applies. We will see how to setup Syno as your PXE server as well as different methods of booting various OS from it (multiple Windows OS as well as Linux versions).

A. PXELINUX/SYSLINUX boot loader

In this example I have used Syslinux 4:06 (not most recent version but version 6.0 + has a...

Read more about this resource...

This is how I had done it and it is working very well. My next step is to transform this to iPXE. That is SO much faster and routable. Is using HTTP instead of UDP.
We use it (Work in progress...) to unattended installing computers with drivers etc.

Last edited:
Hello Friends.
I followed @Rusty tutorial, this tutorial.
I tried with one pc with win 7 and two others with win 10.
I only get partial sucess with the laptop win7 PC ( 2,5GB RAM ).
With that laptop (win7) i get acess to the PXE boot menu and i can view the options in the sreen.

The PXE boot menu has full win 7 image (iso), memtest and ubuntu.
With memtest it is ok , i can go to the application and run the application.

When i am in the PXE boot menu and after i select and try to install win7 i see a error: (after a few minutes)

20190817_181338.jpg

I checked NAS configurations and step by step this tutorial but i cant install a full image (ISO).
The ISO has 3.47GB.

Is something related to KERNEL memdisk?

Anyone has this problem before?

Anyone has a solution for this?

I dont have a win PE image (i did not try to create) because i think i should be able to install by network even my win7 laptop has 2.5GB Memory RAM (less than the 3.47GB ISO).

I tested also with a ubuntu image like in this tutorial but i did not have sucess (dont even install)

Sorry for my english and i hope you understand :)

You won’t be able to run full image inside it. Pxe boot is not the same principal as a regular boot from Iso. My advice would be to try and create a smaller bootable iso that you will then use to load up any OS that you want. If not you will have to tweak your pxe setup to accommodate full iso load up

Greetings Rusty. Nice work and finally I can boot without many problems. I tried UEFI and Legacy. But after a problem, there was a new so I got tired. Then I saw yours and finally I get a menu..

Im all new to this..

Im trying to install windows 10 from my Nas, and did everything you wrote. BUT.. im a little uncertain on "append iso raw initrd=windows.iso" is there a easier way since memory runs out? I cant split the iso :( ..

Greetings Rusty. Nice work and finally I can boot without many problems. I tried UEFI and Legacy. But after a problem, there was a new so I got tired. Then I saw yours and finally I get a menu..

Im all new to this..

Im trying to install windows 10 from my Nas, and did everything you wrote. BUT.. im a little uncertain on "append iso raw initrd=windows.iso" is there a easier way since memory runs out? I cant split the iso :( ..
Well the idea is to use a small winpe iso that will just load up the bare minimum. After that you can point that minimum win boot up to load up any ISO that you mount using the net use command.

With this method you setup this environment to be ready for any iso that you want not just the one you have loaded up in your pxe menu.

If you need a preloaded winpe setup let me know in private and I can give you the link to it if you will not prepare it yourself.

Thanks for the quick reply. I downloaded the PE tools and created the winpe myself. I did Boot up and I ended up in cmd on drive x. Should I add something in the default file or follow the xp guide? Thanks.

Thanks for the quick reply. I downloaded the PE tools and created the winpe myself. I did Boot up and I ended up in cmd on drive x. Should I add something in the default file or follow the xp guide? Thanks.
You can use the net use command from this point forward and map it to a network drive letter of your choice. Beforehand you can use File station to map an ISO to a folder inside your PXE root folder.

After you have used net use just map a drive to that folder and after that run the setup. That’s it

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.