blackvoid qBittorrent via VPN docker container running on Synology NAS

Currently reading
blackvoid qBittorrent via VPN docker container running on Synology NAS

qBittorrent via VPN docker container running on Synology NAS

Personally I don’t user torrents. My preferred choice is Usenet. Still every now and then people tend to ask me how to setup docker containers and most often is how to set up a torrent client with VPN protection.

I have wrote in the past how to utilize VPN on your NAS and one method of tunneling your torrent traffic via your NAS and a VPN connection is using a VDSM instance that will be protected with a VPN and in return any other app running under that VDSM instance will be protected as well.

Now this is useful if you will be using that same instance for more then just torrenting. If you are looking for occasional torrent download, then maybe a docker container will be far less resource demanding, not to mention that you will not need a VDSM license (unless you have the free license still open to use).

Continue reading...

NAS
DS418play, DS213j, DSM 7.0.1-14401
Gald to see this posted. IMO this is one of the better torrent apps.

I am using this Docker with AirVPN, and it has its own nuances (in contrast to NordVPN).

To get AirVPN working, required some changes with the environmental variables... for example the elimination of the username and password variables; the creation of an /config/openvpn folder to store the opvn files. Also, I spent some time to finesse the proper *.opvn download configuration that would work.

All in all this works well. To verify VPN connectivity, I use the AirVPN web site.

Rusty

NAS Support
www.blackvoid.club
NAS
DS412+, DS718+, DS918+, 2x RS3614RPxs+ with expansions
Router
RT1900ac, RT2600ac, MR2200ac
Tested it with Nord and didn’t notice any problem at all. I still have my VDSM for my LAN vpn access but this was simply considering there are lot of questions how to setup and what image to use.

Tnx @Telos for verifying another VPN provider with this image.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads