blackvoid qBittorrent via VPN docker container running on Synology NAS

Currently reading
blackvoid qBittorrent via VPN docker container running on Synology NAS

qBittorrent via VPN docker container running on Synology NAS

Personally I don’t user torrents. My preferred choice is Usenet. Still every now and then people tend to ask me how to setup docker containers and most often is how to set up a torrent client with VPN protection.

I have wrote in the past how to utilize VPN on your NAS and one method of tunneling your torrent traffic via your NAS and a VPN connection is using a VDSM instance that will be protected with a VPN and in return any other app running under that VDSM instance will be protected as well.

Now this is useful if you will be using that same instance for more then just torrenting. If you are looking for occasional torrent download, then maybe a docker container will be far less resource demanding, not to mention that you will not need a VDSM license (unless you have the free license still open to use).

Continue reading...

If you select "download" from search results, does the magnet link work there? Mine do (just not http links). There's also some note that magnet links are disabled without registering qbittorrent... I never did that, but search magnet links work.
An update: the stuck in "downloading metadata" status did end up being an issue that I needed to address as downloads sent from servarr containers would not begin downloading. I ended up deleting the container and then reinstalling it with identical parameters except for a change to the /config path, which I changed from /original/config/path to /new/config/path.

At first that seemed to fix the problem as downloads sent from servarr would start. After a few hours the metadata issue appeared again but was immediately resolved when I went to Settings>Advanced>qBittorent Section (Open Documentation)>Network Interface (requires restart) and then switched from "Any Interface" to "tun0" and then back to "Any Interface." It's been over a day and things continue to work.

Posting this here mainly to help others experiencing the same issue and also so that Telos and Rusty can advise if I'm doing something that is not recommended. Thanks for all of your help.

Hello everyone,

Update from my side, I managed to make it to work also. :)
It was a different problem as I am using a RaspPi, so different architecture than what the image supports.
Someone was kind enough to create a fork for Raspberry.
I have explained the different steps in the github page of MarkusMcNugen using AirVPN.

Thanks again for you help !

I went to Settings>Advanced>qBittorent Section (Open Documentation)>Network Interface (requires restart) and then switched from "Any Interface" to "tun0" and then back to "Any Interface." It's been over a day and things continue to work.
My experience is that QBT-vpn loses connectivity over extended idle time. For me that's about a week. Toggling the network interface, as you did, often reconnects the network. Otherwise, restarting the QBT-vpn docker resolves things.

I've not had so much trouble with losing the connection, but rather RAM usage. Right now Qbittorrent has been up for 24 hours and the RAM usage has climbed from around 50MB to 909MB...
Does anyone else have this issue? Does Qbittorrent really need to be turned off and then on, to coin a phrase, every few days?

On one occasion after some days I saw several GB of RAM used... I restarted it with a limit of 1GB just to see the effect. I suppose I will find out soon...

The file mentioned above is no longer available, could you repost in some ways? Thanks a lot, because I'm having problems to make qBittorent VPN work with AirVPN.
The container starts regularly, but I can't access to the webUI interface of the container. In the log file it seems that something goes wrong with the AirVPN ovpn file.

The container starts regularly, but I can't access to the webUI interface of the container. In the log file it seems that something goes wrong with the AirVPN ovpn file
If you can't access the Qbit, that means that the VPN side of things is still not done. Paste the log here and lets have a look at it.

Depending on the error, it can be a number of things.

The file mentioned above is no longer available, could you repost in some ways? Thanks a lot, because I'm having problems to make qBittorent VPN work with AirVPN.
Attached are my notes for a single server
The container starts regularly, but I can't access to the webUI interface of the container. In the log file it seems that something goes wrong with the AirVPN ovpn file.
Can you access the GUI if you set "VPN_ENABLED" to "no" (w/o quotes)? If not, screenshots of your docker GUI settings would be helpful. FWIW, I'm on DSM6, so there may be some issues related to DSM7... and since this is @Rusty 's write-up, continue with him, as my set-up may differ in some small ways.

Attachments

• AirVPN OPVN files.pdf
    76.3 KB · Views: 23
Yes, 8080:8080 TCP, 8999:8999 TCP and 8999:8999 UDP.
The variable "LAN_NETWORK" 192.168.1.0/24 coud mean something?
My NAS address is "192.168.1.109".
All that is fine and in place.

but I can't still access to the webUI of the container
What kind of output do you get in the browser when you try? Also, what does the browser console report?

Last edited:
I started from scratch. First, I installed a normal qBittorrent docker and it works, I can access to the graphical interface. The only thing I have to do is to modify, inside the qBittorrent folder, the file called qBittorrent.conf, on the WebUI\Address= line adding my NAS LAN IP followed by :8080.
Trying to do the same with the qBittorrentvpn docker I receive a message tha I can't modify the file, probably because is reserved to root user.
Could be the problem?
Thanks.

I started from scratch. First, I installed a normal qBittorrent docker and it works, I can access to the graphical interface. The only thing I have to do is to modify, inside the qBittorrent folder, the file called qBittorrent.conf, on the WebUI\Address= line adding my NAS LAN IP followed by :8080.
Trying to do the same with the qBittorrentvpn docker I receive a message tha I can't modify the file, probably because is reserved to root user.
Could be the problem?
Thanks.
You shouldn't need to do that manually. What does the browser window show when you try and access the vpn+qbit container via browser?

You shouldn't need to do that manually. What does the browser window show when you try and access the vpn+qbit container via browser?
In Firefox this is the message:

"The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web."

In Firefox this is the message:

"The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web."
Think this would be some sort of problem with accessing it on port 8080, but then again it did work without the VPN component. That brings another question then. Are you 100% sure that the container has managed to boot up while using the VPN element as well?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.