blackvoid qBittorrent via VPN docker container running on Synology NAS

Currently reading
blackvoid qBittorrent via VPN docker container running on Synology NAS

qBittorrent via VPN docker container running on Synology NAS

Personally I don’t user torrents. My preferred choice is Usenet. Still every now and then people tend to ask me how to setup docker containers and most often is how to set up a torrent client with VPN protection.

I have wrote in the past how to utilize VPN on your NAS and one method of tunneling your torrent traffic via your NAS and a VPN connection is using a VDSM instance that will be protected with a VPN and in return any other app running under that VDSM instance will be protected as well.

Now this is useful if you will be using that same instance for more then just torrenting. If you are looking for occasional torrent download, then maybe a docker container will be far less resource demanding, not to mention that you will not need a VDSM license (unless you have the free license still open to use).

Continue reading...

Gald to see this posted. IMO this is one of the better torrent apps.

I am using this Docker with AirVPN, and it has its own nuances (in contrast to NordVPN).

To get AirVPN working, required some changes with the environmental variables... for example the elimination of the username and password variables; the creation of an /config/openvpn folder to store the opvn files. Also, I spent some time to finesse the proper *.opvn download configuration that would work.

All in all this works well. To verify VPN connectivity, I use the AirVPN web site.

Tested it with Nord and didn’t notice any problem at all. I still have my VDSM for my LAN vpn access but this was simply considering there are lot of questions how to setup and what image to use.

Tnx @Telos for verifying another VPN provider with this image.

To get AirVPN working, required some changes with the environmental variables... for example the elimination of the username and password variables; the creation of an /config/openvpn folder to store the opvn files. Also, I spent some time to finesse the proper *.opvn download configuration that would work.

Hello @Telos , I am currently trying to use this docker container with AirVPN also. Could you tell me how did you proceed to make it work please ?
Did you put inside the /config/openvpn folder :
  • Just the .opvn ?
  • Or also the above .opvn + the "user.crt", "ca.crt", "user.key" and "ta.key" ?
If you can provide me an example of your docker-compose it would be helpful.

Thank you for your help !

Did you put inside the /config/openvpn folder :
  • Just the .opvn ?
  • Or also the above .opvn + the "user.crt", "ca.crt", "user.key" and "ta.key" ?
This is the tricky part... See PDF here:
Ge.tt | Gett sharing

In the last step... I'm unsure all files are needed, but they are small and of little consequence.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Thank you very much for both replies.
Your docker configuration + the pdf explanation are really helpful.
I will try this during the weekend and keep you posted how it went.

I will try this during the weekend and keep you posted how it went.
Please do. I tried numerous permutations before I got it working. The opvn discovery was a pain. Once you get QBT running, log on to your AirVPN account and confirm the connection/throughput. I tested it initially with ISOs from RedHat (I wanted to download something big with many active seeds).

Please do. I tried numerous permutations before I got it working. The opvn discovery was a pain. Once you get QBT running, log on to your AirVPN account and confirm the connection/throughput. I tested it initially with ISOs from RedHat (I wanted to download something big with many active seeds).
Hi. Would you be willing to share your pdf file again? I visited the link you shared but the pdf doesn't seem to be available to download or preview.

I've tried many guides and images and have not been able to get AirVPN working in a torrent/vpn Docker container. I'd appreciate any help you can provide.

I noticed I did not provide any feedback... Well I could not manage to make it work :( but one thing I forgot to mention is that I was trying this on a RaspberryPI 4. So it might be a little different than on a Synology.
Thanks again for your help !

I see that you posted (@sixisnotanumber) on the github of Haugene on the issue post I created (P3pit0r). I may try the solution provided by Haugene in the coming weeks.

I noticed I did not provide any feedback... Well I could not manage to make it work :( but one thing I forgot to mention is that I was trying this on a RaspberryPI 4. So it might be a little different than on a Synology.

I see that you posted (@sixisnotanumber) on the github of Haugene on the issue post I created (P3pit0r). I may try the solution provided by Haugene in the coming weeks.
Haha. It's a small world after all. I gladly admit that I'm not the most skilled with these things but it seems like there are very few people who have described how they have gotten AirVPN configured in a docker bittorrent/openvpn container on any hardware. It's beginning to feel like a lost cause but I have a long time before my subscription expires so I'm stuck trying to figure it out. I've tried this guide before but I'll try again with this extra guidance and will let you know if I have any luck.
-- post merged: --

Yes, understood. Thank you!

Well I have gotten a little bit further than with other attempts. I mirrored Telos' settings except for the Name Server settings as the picture provided cuts off the last few numbers. Instead I used the servers from the docker compose file in the blackvoid post (NAME_SERVERS=8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4).

The container runs and does not crash and I can access the qbittorrent webui via port 8080. However, the logs do not show anything about the vpn service starting or any connection to AirVPN. When I go to ipleak.net and load the torrent detection magnet link the results show the IP from my ISP and not an AirVPN IP. Will try asking for help in the blackvoid comments.

Because it doesn't hurt to ask, can anyone on this help?

I would not use Google. Perhaps OpenDNS, or Cloudflare.

OK. Something wrong here. I don't see this on my setup.
Hi. Thanks for the quick response and willingness to help. Not sure why this didn't happen before but the VPN appears to launch and connect now. Judging by the logs it simply did not launch the VPN portion before. The only changes I made were to switch the NAME_SERVERS as suggested and I also switched VPN_ENABLED from "YES" to "yes". Finally, I went to Options>Connections in qBittorrent and updated the TCP listening to 8999 and checked "Use UPnP / NAT-PMP port forwarding from my router".

As far as I can tell I am connected as AirVPN shows an active connection to the server with the same IP that is returned when I run curl ifconfig.me in the container terminal. However, when I run traceroute as described there is a small difference. The IP from my VPN portal and from ifconfig show as XXX.XXX.XXX.203 but the second hop in traceroute shows as XXX.XXX.XXX.201. Is that a problem? When I put that slightly different IP in to Whois Lookup, Domain Availability & IP Search - DomainTools it is still a server in a different country so I think I'm OK? Any thoughts?

An in answer to your question about the previous test I ran. ipleak.net provides a magnet link that you can load in to qbittorrent and then will report back the IP address.

Sincere thank you either way!

No, no, no and no. Where did you get this? Complete unnecessary and hazardous IMO.

No... Leave at some random number.
OK, I've reverted those settings. I only changed them because magnet link test from ipleak.net test was not working so I tinkered until it did. It turns out that magnet links are simply not working in my container so I should have reverted back once I realized that it was a separate issue. Thanks.

If you select "download" from search results, does the magnet link work there? Mine do (just not http links). There's also some note that magnet links are disabled without registering qbittorrent... I never did that, but search magnet links work.
I've never used the search plugin for qbittorrent. Next time I have something to download I'll give it a try and let you know. However, when I tried a few magnet links from websites, including the one found here at Arch Linux - Downloads and the torrents would stay in "downloading metadata" status. Google searches suggest many possible causes so I'm not in a hurry to troubleshoot if downloading the .torrent file works.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.