NAS
1019+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
  3. other
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi there. I am just so pleased with the way Synology Drive works on my PC laptops and IOS devices. It is truly awesome.

However, I installed SD on my kids' mac laptops and it's a nightmare. Seems to simply download all NAS content onto the mac, for each shared folder. This makes it virtually unusable on a mac for larger folders.

1. Am I missing something really obvious that would make SD work better on a mac?

2. Assuming that SD doesn't work well with macs, do we know if there is a plan to upgrade the mac version of SD to similar functionality to that enjoyed on Windows at some stage?

Many thanks

Seems to simply download all NAS content onto the mac, for each shared folder. This makes it virtually unusable on a mac for larger folders.
Can't say that this happens to all folders considering that I don't use Drive on my macs (just via web), but there is and on-demand sync that works on Win10 clients but it is still not supported on the macOS side

The On-demand Sync feature is available to Windows 10 clients only.

I understand. For my kids (who both use Macs), I will set them up on the web-based Synology Drive until a decent mac desktop version is available.

I understand. For my kids (who both use Macs), I will set them up on the web-based Synology Drive until a decent mac desktop version is available.
This is an official response from Synology on the matter of on-demad sync on macos platform:

"Mac On-demand Sync will be not available during this year due to technical limitations of obsolete Apple API, which is critical for our next development. We will also announce whether Apple is willing to support the API again so that our development can proceed further."

I guess we will have to wait for Drive 3.0 in DSM7 and that might not be anytime soon (at least 1y more). Hopefully, when open preview/beta comes out we might see new versions of Drive as well with this support.

Totally agree that the on-demand feature should've been included in the Mac client.

The only workaround I have found is to create Drive tasks that target specific subfolders of the user's Drive folder on the NAS: once a task is targeted to home/Drive then you can't have any other task, so instead create tasks for home/Drive/Documents, home/Drive/Other_folder, etc or such like and only these will be present on the Mac. Or you have an overarching task and omit folders from the sync settings.

You could augment this with something like CloudMounter which allows one cloud service account for free. But you'll have to open SFTP or WebDAV file sharing. I have SFTP and assigned a different port for it so that I don't expose SSH to the Internet (by default SFTP and SSH use the same port TCP 22).

I did contact them with a Feature Inquiry for this to and got this back:

Thank you for your feedback or feature requests regarding the on demand sync in Synology Drive. We are always striving to improve our products, so immediate feedback is very important to us.
This allows us to optimize and develop our products according to our customer requirements.
Therefore, I will forward your optimization requests to our development department, which will work on their implementation.
I can at least already tell you that we are already working at full speed on further optimizations regarding Drive.
Should you have any criticism or other requests for improvement at a later date, please feel free to contact us at any time.

I think its best to let them know that there is more users that miss this feature so fill out the form and let them know.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.