QNAP autobackup

Currently reading
QNAP autobackup

Operating system
  1. Windows
I currently have a Qnap and a PC on a different network, 120 km away
Is it possible to have a program that can backup from my PC( windows) to QNAP, I need it to check several folders on my computer and backup if any changes have occurred then to copy the changes, I need it to run on schedule without you having to worry about opening the app or not, and I need to be quick, simple and to Email me when the task finished.

Any help will be appreciated

Last edited:
thanks fredbert , could you mention the QNAP forum link or moving my question there

many thanks fredbert & Telos , the question has been posted there and the Experts recommended tools called " Resilo ", "Gs Richcopy 360" and "Carbonite, anyone have an idea about these ? or how to start?

Last edited:
I currently have a Qnap and a PC on a different network, 120 km away
Is it possible to have a program that can backup from my PC( windows) to QNAP, I need it to check several folders on my computer and backup if any changes have occurred then to copy the changes, I need it to run on schedule without you having to worry about opening the app or not, and I need to be quick, simple and to Email me when the task finished.

Any help will be appreciated
Note this works for anything...Qnap or Synology...or other shared drive...so long as you can see both ends and you have a windows box to run the ps script from...

Create a Powershell script...for limited uploads, i'd use robocopy, presuming you already have a vpn in place.
robocopy d:\folderYouNeedtobackup \\YourQnapNameOrIP\backups\d /s /Z /MT:12 /r:1 /w:1
robocopy d:\theotherfolderYouNeedtobackup \\YourQnapNameOrIP\backups\d /s /Z /MT:12 /r:1 /w:1
This does a copy, allows it to stop and start as you need the bw for other things, and won't delete files from either end (except where the file is newer from your windows pc end). The r and w are Retry in num of tries, and Wait in seconds. Unless you have a fairly bad connection, you probably don't need to retry more then once. If you wanted this to run whenever there are changes, there are switches for that as well, and robocopy is built in to your OS if Win10, so it just works. As far as emailing you, it by itself can't do that...but you can tell windows to email you locally upon completion (within the powershell script) and you could* export out the results of the robocopy...To schedule this every day, use windows task scheduler, calling the script at a given time.

Other options are to use programs like syncplicity, peersync, synctoy, some ftp software, etc. There are tons of options...Its mostly going to be based around what your networking is setup like (ie do you have a vpn).

Note you could just use the backup options in windows or qnap as well...they both have basic backup options...but if you do not have vpn setup, you'd be stuck using some sort of cloud service or syncplicity, or luls, running without a firewall...

Note this works for anything...Qnap or Synology...or other shared drive...so long as you can see both ends and you have a windows box to run the ps script from...

Create a Powershell script...for limited uploads, i'd use robocopy, presuming you already have a vpn in place.
robocopy d:\folderYouNeedtobackup \\YourQnapNameOrIP\backups\d /s /Z /MT:12 /r:1 /w:1
robocopy d:\theotherfolderYouNeedtobackup \\YourQnapNameOrIP\backups\d /s /Z /MT:12 /r:1 /w:1
This does a copy, allows it to stop and start as you need the bw for other things, and won't delete files from either end (except where the file is newer from your windows pc end). The r and w are Retry in num of tries, and Wait in seconds. Unless you have a fairly bad connection, you probably don't need to retry more then once. If you wanted this to run whenever there are changes, there are switches for that as well, and robocopy is built in to your OS if Win10, so it just works. As far as emailing you, it by itself can't do that...but you can tell windows to email you locally upon completion (within the powershell script) and you could* export out the results of the robocopy...To schedule this every day, use windows task scheduler, calling the script at a given time.

Other options are to use programs like syncplicity, peersync, synctoy, some ftp software, etc. There are tons of options...Its mostly going to be based around what your networking is setup like (ie do you have a vpn).
It seems that you have good knowledge of this type of issue, and I was hoping to get this answer for three days, I could have applied some of your ideas and reached good results .. But fortunately also when I asked this question on a recommended site, I got many recommendations, and the reviews were good about Gs Richcopy 360, the tool has been used and it did the whole job perfectly..thank you all. you really helped me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.