Question about CPUs: is XEON D-1527 really worse than an i3?

Currently reading
Question about CPUs: is XEON D-1527 really worse than an i3?

NAS
DS218
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
Hi Everyone!
I'm trying to decide which NAS to go for based on processor.
I need a NAS that can handle Plex and also smoothly run a Windows VM (with radio station software on it), and I've had some great advice and recommendations here and elsewhere. I'm thinking about the Synology DS-1621xs+. However, I'm struggling to choose it has a XEON D-1527 CPU. While the manufacturer and reviews suggest it will broadly be fine, it doesn't compare favourably with even a standard desktop PC i3-1115G4. In fact CPUbenchmark.com indicates that the i3 outperforms the Xeon per single CPU thread.
Does that means this Synology NAS is not in fact up to the job, being less performant than an i3?
Or is this too simplistic a comparison between processors that are fundamentally optimised for different contexts/purposes?
Many thanks!

Solution
My suggestion is still to run VM on a dedicated mini-PC and get a mid-range (transcoding capable) NAS like 920.

Until you start to move into Synology RSxxxx units you will not find a device that can do both, and even then, there are no CPUs that are Plex friendly when it comes to transcoding. Their brute force will solve the problem sure, but at a great cost, both performance and money.
My suggestion is still to run VM on a dedicated mini-PC and get a mid-range (transcoding capable) NAS like 920.

Until you start to move into Synology RSxxxx units you will not find a device that can do both, and even then, there are no CPUs that are Plex friendly when it comes to transcoding. Their brute force will solve the problem sure, but at a great cost, both performance and money.

Upvote 0
Solution

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.