Currently reading
Question about transferring from an older NAS to a newer NAS, RAID 1 to SHR

NAS
DS418j
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hello all, I currently have a ds418j, with 2x8TB, and 2x3TB drives in two RAID 1 configurations. I've never really worried about other types of RAID or SHR as I tend to upgrade my disks as they fail. My plan is to upgrade to a newer NAS, not decided but let's say it's a 4bay like a ds-920..

As I have almost 10TB of data, I also need to upgrade my drives. I was thinking along the lines of:

Buy new NAS with new 1x14TB drive.
Install one of the old 8TB drives in the new NAS, create an SHR drive between them, with 8TB useable space.
Copy over the old 8TB data to the new NAS useable space.
Install the second old 8TB NAS in the new NAS, add to SHR, creating 22TB useable space.
Copy over the remaining 3TB data to the new NAS. Use old 3TB drives for PC upgrades, not NAS.
Add second 14TB to the new NAS SHR in the future as finances permit.

SO in principle, is my plan correct or have I misunderstood?

Also, could I take one of the old RAID1 8TB drives, install it directly into the new synology NAS, and it would recognise the volume? Or would I lose the data there during the installation.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Also, could I take one of the old RAID1 8TB drives, install it directly into the new synology NAS, and it would recognise the volume? Or would I lose the data there during the installation
It would complain that the volume is degraded.

Install the second old 8TB NAS in the new NAS
Up until a this point it was fine, but adding a disk into an existing 8+14TB SHR setup will have a requirement. The drive has to be 14TB or larger. So this will not work.

Up until a this point it was fine, but adding a disk into an existing 8+14TB SHR setup will have a requirement. The drive has to be 14TB or larger. So this will not work.
Good to know. Guess I'll have to get the second 14tb first.

Hold on, the synology website says different:

>
  • For SHR: The capacity of the drive you intend to add must be equal to or larger than the largest drive in the storage pool, or equal to any of the drives in the storage pool.
    Example: If an SHR storage pool is composed of three drives (2 TB, 1.5 TB, and 1 TB), we recommend that the newly-added drive should be at least 2 TB for a better capacity usage. You can consider adding 1.5 TB and 1 TB drives, but please note that some capacity of the 2 TB drive will remain unused.

So that makes it seem that it will work.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.