Question about upgrade options

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. Linux
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Current setup:
DS920+ with 3x 8tb Seagate Ironwolf drives. Current used capacity 28% (4th 8tb drive being added this weekend, which should bring the use down to approx 20%, if my math is correct.)

I'm looking ahead to possible expansion options. I've read that the DX option might impact performance, so I'm wondering which other choices might be viable.
Thanks in advance for any input. Cheers!

I've read that the DX option might impact performance
IMHO, expansions are expensive and if you are considering one maybe an additional NAS would be a better choice. It won't cost much more but you will have a completely separate system. True, this will not help you with your current setup, but then again, as @Telos said expand the drives.

Upvote 0
IMHO, expansions are expensive and if you are considering one maybe an additional NAS would be a better choice. It won't cost much more but you will have a completely separate system. True, this will not help you with your current setup, but then again, as @Telos said expand the drives.
I'm definitely considering a 2nd NAS, as just upsizing the drives would leave me with the original drives anyway. A NAS with more expandability than the 920+, perhaps?

Upvote 0
Thanks for all your feedback guys!!! One more question - Is migrating data from the old NAS to the new one pretty seamless?

Upvote 0
Is migrating data from the old NAS to the new one pretty seamless?
That depends on the models involved. See here. Drive migration (where appropriate) between comparable DSM versions is the simplest. Migrating from a 32-bit machine to a 64-bit machine, for from ext4 formatted drives to btrfs formatted drives, can be tedious, and patiences testing.

Upvote 1

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.