Question about WebDav

NAS
DS220+, D-Link DSM323, router: Asus ZenWiFi XT8, ups: APC
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I have set up my new DS220+ and set up HyperBackup to an old (non-Synology) NAS I acquired for a backup. I can connect to the DS and see and use files via FileStation or directly in my Finder on my Macbook. I have Timemachine set up on all computers in the house to use the DS for backup. Everything seems to be working fine.

The question - I have WebDav running. But do I need it?
I do want the kids who are living elsewhere to be able to connect to the NAS and we want to be able to connect when traveling.
I am unsure what it buys me beyond the other methods to connect - DDNS when outside the local network, SMB, and whatever else there is on the DS.
If I need it or it buys me something and I leave it running, is it any type of a security risk?

Thanks for any advice.

But do I need it?
Well webdav is a separate protocol on its own and can be used in specific situations. From what you have described I can't say I see a need to use it specifically considering that there are other ways of getting to your data while outside your LAN.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.