Question for others, and me in future... NAS HDD to SSD upgrade...

Currently reading
Question for others, and me in future... NAS HDD to SSD upgrade...

NAS
DS 718+, 2x-DS 720+
Router
  1. RT2600ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Seeing that in V7 you can't go from HDD to SSD in SHR.... When I decided to go to SSD SHR from HDD SHR on a 2 drive only NAS, I just powered down, replaced both, Powereed up, and started over.... I got away with this there, cause nothing was stored there that needed keeping... The Upgrade to SSD was Paramount.... So I started Afresh....

I've always wondered if I could have done it differently... I'm not yet ready to do another SSD conversion, but on either of 2 remaining, I would need to keep data...

Would this work?
2 HDD drives in SHR in a 2 drive NAS in power down state:
Pull one HDD, insert a SSD
Power Up: Configure SSD as separate volume...
Copy data from HDD Volume (limping) to SSD (good) (Obviously this assumes one SSD equates or exceeds HDD)
Once OK.... Power down
Pull renaming HDD, Insert second SSD
Power up....

Change from single volume SSD to SHR?

Is this correct? I've been wondering if I could do this.....
No immediate need for this because SSD's are still smaller than my existing HDD's.. But once they are.............

Last edited:
Actually I tried that the first time, but the hyper backup restore would not ‘see’ the new SSD as a destination, so I just ignored it altogether and continued on as new system. Why I now ask about the copy to new volume then upgrade SSS Volume to SHR. (That was my one & only experience with Hyper backup, and yes, I verified after the backup). I have always (20+ years) believed in multiple copies stored on many devices, and that HB experience has not changed anything with my decisions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Old thread notice: There have been no replies in this thread for quite some time. The last reply was on .
The content in this thread may no longer be relevant. It might be better to open a new thread instead.