Question on my setup

Currently reading
Question on my setup

NAS
DS420
Hi guys,
Sorry for the n00b question...
I have a DS420 with probably an unusual JBOD setup (don't ask).
I have drives in bayss 1, 2 & 3 (bay 4 is free). Each drive is it's own volume (ext4) in it's own storage pool.. so 3 drives, 3 slots, 3 storage pools, 3 volumes).
Drives are all in use with data on them.
Could I power down the unit, move the drives to different bays & keep the data intact? Or would I have to re-format/lose data?
In other words, would the NAS just detect the pre-existing pool/volume config at power-on, even though the drives may be in different bays?
Is it risky? (aside from risks related to handling/moving the drives), or should the DS-420 be expected to cope with this?

Thanks!

I have a DS420 with probably an unusual JBOD setup
Each drive is it's own volume (ext4) in it's own storage pool
Technically speaking, that is not JBOD. More like "Basic", though Synology permits SHR and JBOD with single drives.
Could I power down the unit, move the drives to different bays & keep the data intact?
This is fine. Drive position is immaterial.
Is it risky?
Far less risky that lacking drive redundancy. Presumably you have an off-NAS back-up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.