Question: Seagate Exos HDDs with DS220+ / DS720+

Currently reading
Question: Seagate Exos HDDs with DS220+ / DS720+

D

Deleted member 673

I would like to use on-hand Seagate Exos (12TB or 16TB) in a DS220+ or DS720+ --- to be deployed as a low-activity offsite backup NAS and occasional media server. Unfortunately, Exos HDDs are not officially supported in the 220+ or 720+. What are the possible downside risks for the NAS, HDDs, and data if I were to proceed with this?

Hibernation is not allowed with Exos HDDs on the Synology DS where Exos drives are supported. So I would run them with NO hibernation in the 2-bay DS.

Comments welcome. Ron

This probably means that they are not officially tested, not that they will not work or cause problems. Seagate as a brand has a good relation with Synology, so I think it is safe to say that running Exos drives will not cause any problems.

For example, ST16000NM001G drive (Exos 16TB) is on the official list for DS918+. 720/920+ are direct upgrade models to 918. So if it works in 918 it will work with 720.

Again, my guess is that they just haven't officially tested 12TB+ models with all-new x20, x21 models just yet.

Thanks to both of you for the comments.

We now have the DS220+ running with 2x 16TB Exos RAID0 - about 15TB data on board. No cooling or other issues so far; other than the increased noise level vs. two 10TB IronWolf we had been using. BTW, No safety precautions needed here - all data is easily recoverable. ;) R

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.