Info Questions about forum usage

Currently reading
Info Questions about forum usage

Hello SynoForum.com members!

In this forum we'll try to publish information and guides about using this forum software.

For any additional questions please reply to this thread.

Is there a way to enable a nested viewing of posts instead of pushing responses down to the bottom of the post? I find nested forums much easier to navigate because its easier to see who you are responding to. See pic for an example of what I mean. Responses to posts are nested and offset below the original post so that it is easy to see the chain of progression on the responses.

Nested always looked ugly to me. I prefer this too.

(I’m trying to encourage our SynoMan. He was about to commit seppuku last night because of the widget thingy, we don’t want a repeat of that incident. Especially that we kicked out the robot and everything fell on Rusty’s and his hands).

I don't like nested too, but ok, I'm used of this platform. However, when I look at the platform like Reddit, it's really not for me. I'm always confused there, but that's just a matter of taste.

I think if you use that platform enough you get totally used of it.

I never liked nested threads either. Nested replies would imply that the thread is diverging and would probably be better to start a new thread. It also breaks up the flow of the conversation.

With enough categories there is already a subject root for a thread.

How to edit a post after the initial edit window?

I started a thread about docker container notifications with dockcheck and the first post gives the usage. A new argument was added by the developer and I had to update my scheduled task on DSM to make it work. I wanted to correct this forum post too. I also forgot to name the tool in the subject.

Many technical forums will ask you to edit the subject with [RESOLVED] when the problem is solved/answered. Editing is needed for that. Punishing all users for a few bad apples who may abuse editing to circumvent moderation is a little harsh.

How to edit a post after the initial edit window?
You can contact staff members and they will edit for you: Contact Staff & Reports

I started a thread about docker container notifications with dockcheck and the first post gives the usage. A new argument was added by the developer and I had to update my scheduled task on DSM to make it work. I wanted to correct this forum post too. I also forgot to name the tool in the subject.
Understand. I will see what can be done. For tutorials, it is better to use Resources. You can always edit the resource overview page and each resource has its dedicated discussion thread. You can still publish the tutorial there.

Many technical forums will ask you to edit the subject with [RESOLVED] when the problem is solved/answered. Editing is needed for that. Punishing all users for a few bad apples who may abuse editing to circumvent moderation is a little harsh.
We use thread type for that: Guide - Use the right thread type when posting a thread

I can change it to a question thread type and you'll get an option to mark a post as a solution.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.