Questions About Replacing SSDs in M2D18 for DS3617xs

Currently reading
Questions About Replacing SSDs in M2D18 for DS3617xs

D

Deleted member 673

Just installed a DS3617xs with M2D18 using M.2 SSDs I had on hand (Samsung 860 EVO). I'd like to replace these SSDs with something more robust; but the compatibility chart on Synology's Website lists only a handful of Intel SSDs in the "Enterprise" class.

First question: can the M.2 heat sinks with self-adhesive pads be removed without damaging anything? Or can they be replaced?

Second: I'd welcome a recommendation for a high-endurance M.2 SSD (128-256GB) suitable for the 3617xs.

Thanks for any comments. Ron

Just installed a DS3617xs with M2D18 using M.2 SSDs I had on hand (Samsung 860 EVO). I'd like to replace these SSDs with something more robust; but the compatibility chart on Synology's Website lists only a handful of Intel SSDs in the "Enterprise" class.

First question: can the M.2 heat sinks with self-adhesive pads be removed without damaging anything? Or can they be replaced?

Second: I'd welcome a recommendation for a high-endurance M.2 SSD (128-256GB) suitable for the 3617xs.

Thanks for any comments. Ron

1. replacement of the self adhesive pads - you can purchase new one for 5USD, then it will be better for your scenario. be careful, no one (remotely) can guarantee your approach. I have few such replacements (in different hw), for me it was easy.

2. high endurance recommendation- pls. be specific, how you imagine the endurance. Do you really understand of purpose M.2 SSD cache in your NAS? Then we can help you.

Thanks for your comments. By endurance, I'm referring to TBW (Terrabytes Written) and DWPD (Drive Writes Per Day). WIth the consumer-level 860 EVO, the "lifespan" shown in DSM storage manager has decreased by a percentage point every few days. So I'm looking for an M.2 SSD that will have a much longer, more reliable lifespan. Cache has substantially improved performance with the most active few GB of data, as expected. But I'm also pursuing cache as a means to extend the life of associated hard drives (6 x 16TB Exos RAID6). Hope this helps clarify.

"high-endurance M.2 SSD" is only in SLC disk range
all rest TLC or MLC disk range levels is out from your high endurance expectation
and the EVO860 is MLC range disk

but back to my concern about your question:
M2D18 suports M.2 and also NVMe - be sure what are you looking for, there is real difference in speed
but you have to count, that NVMe SLC will cost a lot, even when you will find such disk (never seen till now)
Then better way is use Samsung MLC NVMe (Pro range) and change it when it will pass away

Looking at the compatibility chart on Synology's Website, it appears that NVMe is not supported on the DS3617xs. That absence actually gave me pause about getting into an older model Synology NAS. But it is performing very well. Interesting that there are no enterprise-level alternatives for this technology. I guess we'll just keep an eye on the lifespan indicator. I also reverted to read-only so the cache is not a point of failure - and the SSDs will see fewer writes.

my consideration about the NVMe was based on M2D18 Syno spec
but I have to confirm, that I was wrong, your NAS doesn’t have support of NVMe

just to be sure (I’m curious) what kind of operation do you have for such cache utilization requirement?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.