1. RT2600ac
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi all,

Replacing my DS712+ with a DS920+ and hopefully using the existing drives (vol 1 is 8TB and vol 2 is 6TB)....

Few novice questions I'm sure, but just want to get some ideas of the dead ends I may be going into...

Looking at the Synology docs, I'm concerned if I go this route, I'm stuck with the current setup - I have two drives but not any sort of RAID and goal is to eventually add drives and go with SHR. If this is correct, would I need to just add two drives and set up SHR there and somehow migrate / move my content from the original drives to the newly added?

Biggest question is, if I do the HDD migration, do I just power down both NAS (DS920+ would have no drives in it at the time), then move the drives out of the 712 and into the 920? Or do I need to have some basic setup done with the 920, if so, could I just add a 1TB drive I've got laying around in, get it up, do some basic config and then either add the two drives from the 712 or remove the 1TB drive and add the 2 drives?

Now, if you guys know of reasons why the HDD migration is a bad idea, I could wait a bit longer, get a 6 TB drive and add that to the 920, but could I do some sort of backup or migration from both 712 volumes to that single 920 6TB volume? There's plenty of space.

I'd rather not start from scratch as I've got Docker containers on vol 1 and having to do that all over would / could be an opportunity for mistakes.

I'd appreciate your input and guidance.

Thanks
Chris

Welcome to the forum m8! An excellent purchase on the 920!

Biggest question is, if I do the HDD migration, do I just power down both NAS (DS920+ would have no drives in it at the time), then move the drives out of the 712 and into the 920? Or do I need to have some basic setup done with the 920
In general yes. That's how migration works. The 920 (target) will have to have to update to the same or higher version than 712 (if it's not already), but after that, you are good to go.

could I just add a 1TB drive I've got laying around in, get it up, do some basic config and then either add the two drives from the 712 or remove the 1TB drive and add the 2 drives?
exactly that, yes.

Now, if you guys know of reasons why the HDD migration is a bad idea, I could wait a bit longer, get a 6 TB drive and add that to the 920, but could I do some sort of backup or migration from both 712 volumes to that single 920 6TB volume? There's plenty of space.
The main question is your current volumes. From what period/DSM version are those and if you will end up hitting the 16TB volume limitation from the early versions. So if your volumes on 712 are from the DSM5 era they might be limited. Also, are those volumes BTRFS or EXT4? Running with EXT4 will have certain limitations going forward and you will not be able to use certain packages.

I'd rather not start from scratch as I've got Docker containers on vol 1 and having to do that all over would / could be an opportunity for mistakes.
There is no problem with having Docker on any volume, and exporting/importing them is a default Docker operation in case you want to migrate the Docker install on a secondary volume.

So to recap, yes you can do in-place migration, it will depend on your needs and current setup and also what you want to do with those volumes in the future. On the other hand, you could just start fresh with a single drive in 920, configure it, migrate the data, and then create new volumes (if you have room to spare in terms of free space/free drives).

Thanks for your insight. Definitely helps and I think I may go with just getting a 6 TB drive (new), configure the 920+ and kind of set up as new and migrate the data. Might take longer, but yes, my volumes are EXT4 and yes, it was DSM5 (when I started) so I just have a feeling that I could get the HDD migration to work, might be less than optimal and just need to do changes then.

I can take my time, get the 920 just right and chip away at the work.

Thanks again,
Chris

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.