DS218
Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I have a RT2600ac and 2 MR2200ac as mesh points. If I connect the LAN port of the RT2600AC to a switch, and connect the MR2200ac to that switch:
  • will that work the same as connecting the RT2600ac and MR2200ac as wired backhaul directly?
  • If I connect several wired devices to that switch, will they show up as individual devices in SRM or as just 1 device since they're on a switch?
  • can traffic rules be applied to devices connected to a switch?

If you only use the primary LAN the any switch should work. But if you also use the extra LANs (Guest, and the extra 3 in SRM 1.3.1) then you will need a switch that supports VLANs.

Generally the distinction between switch types has been unmanaged and managed. Where unmanaged has no configurable features and is used to connect devices together on the Sam LAN. While managed switches are configurable support features such as VLAN, link aggregation, and so on.

Some manufacturers say some of their switches are unmanaged while also supporting a limited set of configurable features. So it’s not so clear cut. I used a TP-Link Easy Smart TL-SG108E (note the ‘E’, without it is their unmanaged switch) for a while between RT2600ac and MR2200ac using VLANs to separate primary and Guest LANs.

So to summarise: if you only use the primary LAN then an unmanaged switch will be enough; if you use the other private LANs you’ll need a switch that supports configuring VLANs.

And keep in mind to configure your VLANs on the managed switch on all ports which are being used to connect your additonal WiFi point and router. If your have multiple managed switchs between your primary router and the additional WiFi points all ports need to be configured which are part for the "way" between the devices.

Default setup which will work in most cases should be VLAN1 untagged and VLAN1733 tagged on the switch ports. For example you have your primary router connected to port 1 on the switch and the WiFi point to port 7, both ports needs to be configured. VLAN1 is already predfined on many managed switches. At the end you should have a config like this:

Port 1:
PVID 1
VLAN1 untagged
VLAN1733 tagged

Port 7:
PVID 1
VLAN1 untagged
VLAN1733 tagged

Hope, this helps a bit.

Sorry for jumping into an old thread but I was about to return a managed switch (TP-SG1024DE) that I just purchased and couldn't get to work. So hopefully you will see this message and perhaps respond before I run out of time to return it.

I have a configuration of a RT2600ac and 2 x MR200ac units. I have just decided to put some security into my network. Primary Network (1), Guest network (1733) , IOT Network (21) and Secure Devices (11). I plan to use my last available VLAN for Security Cameras (31).

Till I read this thread I was unable to get them working on the managed switch. What I have now is as follows:

Port 1:
PVID 1
VLAN1 untagged
VLAN1733 tagged
VLAN11 tagged
VLAN21 tagged
VLAN31 tagged

Port 2:
PVID 1
VLAN1 untagged
VLAN1733 tagged
VLAN11 tagged
VLAN21 tagged
VLAN31 tagged

Port 3:
PVID 1
VLAN1 untagged
VLAN1733 tagged
VLAN11 tagged
VLAN21 tagged
VLAN31 tagged

Port 4:
PVID 1
VLAN1 untagged
VLAN1733 tagged
VLAN11 tagged
VLAN21 tagged
VLAN31 tagged

First is this correct?

Why is the PVID not the number for the VLAN?

Thanks

Laurie

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 4.19.00 pm.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 4.19.00 pm.png
    44.6 KB · Views: 35
From memory that looks correct: all ports untagged and PVID of 1, tagged for all othe VLANs. This should work for connecting the mesh routers, and maintain separation between VLANs according to the SRM policy.

The PVID is the tag that is added to untagged packets as they enter the switch port. In your setup the PVID will be the same value as the port’s untagged VLAN ID.

If you wanted to make a port available for the guest network (without having to mess with the client device network settings): untagged for 1733 with a PVID of 1733, all other VLANs to be tagged.

Thank you for the quick response. Seems to be working at this time. The block of 4 ports configured in the same way should make it a bit easier for my old brain to remember.

I wish I had found this post earlier. Would have saved me days of fiddling and frustration. Anyway I have learnt something today.

Walked from Router to each of the APs on the Guest network with an app called Wi-Fi Sweetspots running and was able to see my phone jump from one to the next etc. Appears that it is working as intended. Will repeat for each of the VLans that have Wi-Fi but not expecting anything different.

So another question about the PVID - I can turn on VLAN 802.1Q for each of the Network Ports on my Synology NAS and set the VLAN ID. Which is better - setting it on the switch (leaving setting of untagged) or setting it up on the NAS (assuming that this port would then have to be tagged on the switch configuration)?

Have more questions but will start a new thread on that.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 5.17.58 pm.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 5.17.58 pm.png
    54.6 KB · Views: 16
This is how I have configured my TL-SG108E. It's now a spare/'lab' switch for when I'm playing with things.

I connect one of ports 1 to 4 (usually port 1) as uplink to one of my main switches: these ports are untagged on the primary VLAN and tagged for all others. I then use ports 5 to 8 as untagged for one of the other VLANs, and tagged for the others.

VLAN -> 802.1Q VLAN
1684323332321.png

VLAN -> 802.1Q PVID Setting
1684323380235.png

If I want to use my Mac on the guest VLAN (1733) I can either plug it into switch port 6, or configure the Mac's network settings...

1684324157605.png
1684324210418.png
1684324258542.png

It's easier to configure the switch port.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.