1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
Greetings all!

The problem:
Without port forwarding, I couldn't connect to anything remotely, so I reluctantly enabled QuickConnect.. It works... to a point. I'm able to administer the Diskstation and use the built in Synology apps without a problem. However, 3rd party packages, like Sonaar don't seem to work, even though it displays a QuickConnect URL/port in the Package Center.

Has anyone found a way to make this work or have other ideas for a solution?

The backstory:

I've used port forwarding without issue at this site for many years, but recently the ISP reconfigured their network to use a Carrier Grade NAT. The ISP uses this like they're a gigantic router acting as a private network for entire areas. It's a tactic to combat IPv4 exhaustion. Unfortunately, this usually prevents the ISP customers from using port forwarding because the network address translation (NAT) is usually implemented by mapping ports of the NAT devices in the network to other ports in the external interface.

So, my port forwarding suddenly stopped working completely. I'd switch ISPs if I could, but this is a remote area with no alternatives.

They agreed to provide me with a static IP, and sure enough port forwarding began working as expected. Unfortunately, the internet connection became completely unstable, disconnecting sometimes as often as every 2 minutes. They insisted that the static IP could not be the cause, and that it must be my router. I replaced the router, they rewired the connection to the house, and replaced their modem with a combination modem/router. The problem remained. Finally, in desperation to get a stable connection, I tried connecting with a Dynamic IP. BOOM. Perfectly stable connection, albeit, without port forwarding.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.