Currently reading
Quickconnect vs VPN (or both?)

NAS
DS213J, DS918+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I have quickconnect set up and it works great. For most of my use its family members accessing Photos app (which I love ability to have personal spaces and then transition to shared album we keep as a family), as well as occasionally DS drive. Nothing overly sensitive there, and I do have firewall on and admin account off. I have been reading about setting up a VPN so I can access my docker apps to include Plex and calibre web when off site.

I have some very newb questions....

1) Is there a way to access apps running on docker through quickconnect?
2) If VPN is the only option, can it be used with quickconnect? (from what I see VPN requires authorization on each device, and this would be too complex for family. I wonder if I could leave quickconnect running as is for access to synology apps, and then just from my personal devices only use the VPN just for the rare instances that I would want to get remote access to those apps).

If 2 isn't an option, are there really that much more security benefits of setting up VPN (and the associated setup on each device) over using quickconnect with the easy access for family?

Thanks

Just my opinion...but if just accessing the Syno DS applications, and user accounts are set to read only with strong passwords (maybe also consider 2FA - I don't for user accounts) I don't think you'd need a VPN. In addition, if your router has a firewall and you have it properly configured I see no need for the Syno firewall

Just my opinion...but if just accessing the Syno DS applications, and user accounts are set to read only with strong passwords (maybe also consider 2FA - I don't for user accounts) I don't think you'd need a VPN. In addition, if your router has a firewall and you have it properly configured I see no need for the Syno firewall
Thanks. That has been my opinion as well for built in apps, but now that I am using more docker apps, if I want access to these outside my home network I believe my only option is VPN access?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.