Rack recommendations for home usage inc Plex

Currently reading
Rack recommendations for home usage inc Plex

Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
So everything I've read so far says run a million miles away from using a Rack server if I'm intending to run a Plex Media Server as they don't have the horsepower processor wise. I have a comms rack in my house with my ethernet switch, patch panels and it's currently hosting my poverty spec 6TB HDD and Pi4 Plex Server. That's actually working pretty well, but I want to add a Synology NAS of some description to my house and as I have a rack it makes sense for me to get a rack mount.

So here's what I'm looking to see if it's possible:
A cheap RSxxx Rack for storage/raid only, and let the Pi keep doing Plex Server duties - is this feasible?
Running a FTP server on the Synology solution for my Netatmo video cameras to dump in footage
Having the ability to backup multiple Macs using Time Machine into the NAS

Or if you think it's possible to also run Plex Media Server on a lower budget rack solution I'd be very keen to get some guidance too.

Thanks everyone!

Or if you think it's possible to also run Plex Media Server on a lower budget rack solution I'd be very keen to get some guidance too.
RS models are all using CPU that are not capable of HW transcoding if needed. In case you don't need it and you will use them as pure storage then get any model that fits your rack and budget.

Personally, I have 48bays of Syno RS models and none of them is a Plex server. They do serve as a source for multiple Plex servers (other NAS on the network), so in your case, this will work as well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.