DS720+, DS418play
Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
RackStation RS1221+/RS1221RP+ - A powerful storage solution for businesses and IT enthusiasts with redundancy and service continuity
rs1221+_big.png

Compact and reliable​

The RS1221+/RS1221RP+, at only 30 to 38 centimeters deep, is built for space-sensitive deployments. Boasting over 100K 4K random read IOPS and 2,315 MB/s sequential read1, the RS1221+/RS1221RP+ is equipped to handle heavy workloads in data-intensive environments. The RS1221RP+ additionally features an extra level of protection with redundant power supplies...

For more information...

Read more about this resource...

... or discuss it below.

I've just migrated to a RS1221+ and all is good - so if anyone has any questions regarding the hands-on experience then fire away.

Cut my thumb moving cage-nuts around for it, so it is properly blooded...

:)
I currently have a DS1513+ sitting on a shelf in my server rack. I have been going back and forth between the DS1821+ or the RS1221+. One of my big concerns will be how loud the noise could potentially get. I currently have a bunch of UniFI equipment in the rack and I keep the closet closed. I can still hear slight hums, it's much louder when I open the door. With the door open, my Apple Watch tells me the noise level of my current setup is around 48db....and when I close the door it drops down to about 33db.

By the spec sheet the RS2121+ should be both quieter and cooler than it predecessors and as a 2U unit with fans sized for space available should also suggest low noise too.

My experience misses the expectation above and I was surprised that I could hear it when I installed it in my rack. My rack is not overly noisy with a couple of UniFi switches, a couple of EdgeRouters, a Synology RS217, Mac mini server, Lenovo mini-server and 2 large auxiliary fans at the top rear position, running at a slowish speed.

I would not say the noise is unpleasant or particularly loud - a 'rush of air' noise that is just enough to add to the overall rack noise. I'm not sure the fan curve selected by Synology makes complete sense either. There is negligible difference between 'cool mode' and 'quiet mode' and the amount of air pulled through the unit in 'quiet mode' is considerable and hardly warm on exit.

I do have a Synology 10GbE card in mine so that probably changes the fan curve and maybe Synology has just made a hash of it and let the fans run higher than they need to be. All the SSDs and HDD are reporting pretty cool on the slowest fan setting. I will add some drive-bay fillers to ensure the air goes where it is needed and that may help with the noise too.

Noise is subjective. If I close the door on the network cupboard I can hardly hear the rack. Walk 1m or so away from the door and I don't hear anything and it does not vibrate anything or cause a background hum.

I should add this is all set in a very quiet house in a very quiet area.

My experience with RS rack models is different. I have a pair of 3614RPxs models with their expansions (that are currently not running), and I have to say that unless this rack was anywhere other than where it is now (underground) I think I would lose my mind :D.

So as @Robbie said it is subjective, but my advice is if you can 1st hear it, do it before you get a rack version that is going somewhere where you expect it to be silent as much as possible.

@Rusty I think you are in an entirely different league to us mortals. Down at these levels we are talking about a miniature Ryzen cpu that pulls around 16 watts when flat-out and lives under a small passive heatsink.

I'd guess just a couple of your fans alone would pull more than 16 watts! :ROFLMAO:

With the door open, my Apple Watch tells me the noise level of my current setup is around 48db....and when I close the door it drops down to about 33db.

Did a couple of tests for you with my rack filled and running as stated earlier. My rack has concrete walls on 3 sides and an oak floor on either side of the door, so a bit of an echo chamber. No Apple Watch here so a Bosch iNVH meter will have to do (average minimum value):

Door open - @ 1m from rack = 31.8 dB(A)

Door closed (regular domestic wood-panelled door) @ 1m = 20.3 dB(A)

Background level = 16.5 dB(A)

As to why I felt the need to hold my breath whilst taking the reading I will never know!

I am about to buy the RS1221+ (+2x10G) and I am wondering how much ram is needed for it. The usage is pretty simple, it will handle different iscsi luns + some nfs that will be replicated to an identical nas. No virtualisation at first. Would a 4GB upgrade enough? Orbetter to go directly to 12 (4+8) or 20 (4+16) ?I'm curious of what others do for it.

I am about to buy the RS1221+ (+2x10G) and I am wondering how much ram is needed for it. The usage is pretty simple, it will handle different iscsi luns + some nfs that will be replicated to an identical nas. No virtualisation at first. Would a 4GB upgrade enough? Orbetter to go directly to 12 (4+8) or 20 (4+16) ?I'm curious of what others do for it.
To begin with, it will be just fine if these will be the only operations that you will use this nas for.

As above but I did notice an improvement in 10GbE write-speeds when I added an extra 4GB to mine. I suspect that that was due to dual-channel mode for the memory and nothing to do with the extra RAM capacity. My primary array is all SSD so without the usual HDD write bottlenecks.

Well, when I had 10GbE that is - my UniFi 10GbE switch just failed. 😭

By the spec sheet the RS2121+ should be both quieter and cooler than it predecessors and as a 2U unit with fans sized for space available should also suggest low noise too.

I just wanted to add my 5 cents here: in my rack where I have a DS1819+ and 2 Poweredge R730 running 30 VMs, the Syno RS1221+ is (by far) the noisier... which is kind of disturbing! :LOL:

OK it is in the basement so I don't really care except if I work on the rack itself but the most surprising thing is from the documentation, the DS1819 should be arround 22dB, which is "silent" and verified... and the RS1221+ is given for 25dB but in real, probably arround 40... :oops:

Do you all feel the same?

PS: I didn't really notice a difference with latest version 6.2.4-25554

Last edited:
@EHRETic

Yep, it is noisier than it should be and nowhere near the book figures. Again, not sure how much is due to a Syno 10GbE being fitted or just Synology making a hash of the fan profiles.

It does seem a shame though as it is just blowing cold air out of the back at a way faster speed than I suspect it needs.

Again, not sure how much is due to a Syno 10GbE being fitted or just Synology making a hash of the fan profiles.
Having a card in the NAS do not change anything: I had for a few weeks without an 10Gb/s card and when I purchased one and installed it, it didn't feel any different! ;)

I have been looking at the RS1221+ and just as I was about to pull the trigger, I started reading about disks not being supported etc. I've read elsewhere that the "compatibility" list should be treated more like an "incompatibility" list and that if my disks are not on that list, they should work. I am migrating from a ReadyNAS device and my disks were the cheapest at the time so aren't ideal for a NAS. I plan to remedy this over time after I have migrated as it's too much to do all in one go. This is for home use in my lab to go in my rack.

Will the existing disks work or am I wasting my time?

I know this thread hasn't been updated for several months, but I believe it is for general questions about this device. Sorry if that is incorrect.

Neil

They are Seagate Barracuda ST8000DM004 (Desktop Class - I know, I know) drives. Should really have thought ahead, but at the time I was down to single figure GBs. I only replaced 3 of the 4 in my old NAS.

The drives I removed are WD30EFRX 3TB NASware drives. Older but at least they are NAS drives.

Would you not even recommend using them temporarily?

I started replacing disks before thinking about replacing the device. Had I done things in the "correct" order then I would have looked at a new device and got suitable disks. My bad :( I was just keen to get an increase in storage for the old device quickly (and cheaply to my shame).

So my plan was to put the 8TB disks in the new NAS and replace them with "supported" or at least proper NAS disks gradually until they were all done (hence the initial question above in this reply). My fear is that these disks won't work at all and it would scupper my plans. I had started looking at alternative devices, but the usable storage with Syno is so much better! I was then going to put the disks to use elsewhere, either in an old server I have or back in the old NAS.

Would you not even recommend using them temporarily?
WD ones will work for sure but I guess those are low capacity for your needs atm. Those 8TB drives will either work or not. If they do, great if not, you have to get some compatible ones.

ST8000DM004 are not on any list of compatible drives and that means that Syno has not officially tested them, not that those drives would not work.

If you can start with a single drive and take it from there, not sure what else you can do.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.