NAS RackStation RS1221+/RS1221RP+

Currently reading
NAS RackStation RS1221+/RS1221RP+

Sure, thanks for the advice. I guess I could stretch to a single new HDD to go in initially with the WD ones.

Looking at ST8000VN004 8TB disks now.

The whole debacle with Syno compatibility has been blurred by Synology using it more recently as a revenue stream. Whilst there are HDDs that do not play nice (eg SMR drives) those factual issues are getting drowned-out by artificial 'vendor locks' as they try to extract more money from the customers. As a reminder of recent times:

- Synology pushed WD drives heavily, especially Red and Red Pro.

- Synology then pushed Seagate drives heavily with additional Ironwolf support

- Synology now pushes Toshiba drives (under a Synology sticker), with a tweaked firmware.

Those 3 drive manufactures are the sum total of all HDD manufacturers out there. In the space of ownership of a single DS1517+ they marched through the lot of them and in reality nothing changed. No doubt they will march through the list again as the wheel goes around.

Nobody can predict what Synology will do with more draconian vendor-locked firmware in the future. In the meantime my RS1221+ has had no issues with any drive (HDD or SSD, shucked or otherwise, consumer or enterprise). Clearly I would not stick a SMR drive or a ridiculously noisy drive in it. If Synology becomes difficult during a future warranty claim then the £50 fee for the small claims court awaits.

2021-09-06 at 16.57.13.png

Just sayin'....

🤪

I got the RS1221RP+, with the E10M20-T1 10gig adapter and dual SSD caching, got a couple nice SSDs and 8 large drives, even went the extra mile and replaced both internal fans with quieter ones, only to turn it on... this thing is still louder than a jet engine. Turns out the dual PSUs on the RS1221RP+ are insanely loud, like hearing damage loud. And you can't control them from the Synology software. I'm wearing hearing protection right now and they are still too loud to think clearly, how on earth could Synology sell this thing? Even by data center standards this is louder than you would ever want, but for home use it's a nightmare. With the door closed I can hear it at the other end of the house.

Has anyone out there found a solution for this? Do they have better PSUs that are not so ridiculously loud? Can you replace the PSU fans? (I've looked and can't find anyone who has had luck doing that, lots of people having issues with the fan connectors)

I tried running on 1 PSU only, but the second I unplug the 2nd PSU the NAS starts beeping. Even went to the "Beep Control" settings under "Hardware & Power" but there was no option for disabling PSU related beeping, and even with it activly beeping the "Reason for current beep" stayed at "None" And beeping aside, the noise of just 1 PSU was STILL way too loud.

I've never regretted a purchase this much, and honestly I feel sick to my stomich right now, and my ears hurt. Shutting this thing down until I find a real solution. :cry:

Has anyone out there found a solution for this?
This model is intended for rack installation as you said and those are either in an isolated room or maybe placed in a noise canceling rack.

The dual psu vents are to blame for sure. On my 3600 series those are loud but the 2423 model with a single psu is not as loud as I expected.

Considering you just got it can’t you replace the model with maybe a DS 8bay version?

Last edited:
This model is intended for rack installation as you said and those are either in an isolated room or maybe placed in a noise canceling rack.

The dual psu vents are to blame for sure. On my 3600 series those are loud but the 2423 model with a single psu is not as loud as I expected.

Considering you just got it can’t you replace the model with maybe a DS 8bay version?
Sadly I was unaware, but the reviews on the dual PSU unit are all pretty bad in terms of people complaining about the noise. Had I known back then I would have purchased the regular RS1221+, which is fine with better fans.

I run plenty of rack mount gear at home, have done so for decades, and never had an issue like this, but the PSUs that Synology is using in this unit are just a disaster.

I'd love to return this unit for a RS1221+ but I don't think I'll be able to, as I've had it for a long time and just now had the chance to set it up and power it on. Opened a ticket with Synology, but I doubt that will go anywhere. To be totally honest, they should never have sold this unit with those PSU fans, end of story.

I wish there were better PSUs I could slot in and call it done. This has been a nightmare, I was really looking forward to finally setting this thing up, but the second I powered it on I knew something was wrong, and when I saw that it defaulted to the quiet fan profile my heart sank. Too bad the PSU fans run at 100% at all times.

On a side note, rack mount gear is not always in a separate room or sound-isolated. I've worked in offices/studios with rack-mounted gear for decades and always had racks at home for all kinds of gear, including servers which are normally the loudest thing in the rack. This thing is louder than a whole rack full of servers.

When I bought mine I did look at the tech specs and ruled-out the RP model as I would be using it at home:

RS1221RP+ : 53.5 dB(A)

Not only is the RP loud the reduced fan size increases the perceived noise even higher than the massive jump in dB from that of the RS1221+.

If you don't want noise then don't buy the noisy one.

☕

When I bought mine I did look at the tech specs and ruled-out the RP model as I would be using it at home:

Not only is the RP loud the reduced fan size increases the perceived noise even higher than the massive jump in dB from that of the RS1221+.

If you don't want noise then don't buy the noisy one.

☕
Sadly that information was not readily available at the time of purchase 3 years ago on the site I purchased it on.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.