RAID 5, 6, or 10 - I can't decide... help?

Currently reading
RAID 5, 6, or 10 - I can't decide... help?

NAS
DS1621+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
New 1621+ just arrived and I loaded it up with 4x6TB Exos drives... I'm going to be using BTRFS but not sure about the array type... RAID 5, 6, or 10 is what I"m trying to decide. I don't believe I need SHR - I'm thinking about upgradability in the future (some models don't support SHR). Since this is a 6Bay unit AND support 2 NVME drives for cache, I plan to add 2 more 6TB drives next month and a 2TB NVME Cache volume. This box will primarily be used as a Plex server with some containers and a couple VM's here and there but no heavy VM use (at least none planned right now).

All that said, what RAID would you suggest? Thanks!

What do you see as the advantage to each of those?

Some RS, but DS is not an issue. Your call.
Honestly I decided to change how I was approaching this. I'm going to use SHR... reason being - I chose 4x6TB drives because drive prices have increased significantly over the last 30 days or so... I was originally going to do 8 or 10TB drives... when prices come down, I will fill the last 2 slots with 10TB drives and then increase the other 4 drives to also 10TB each over time... when I do that I will probably migrate from SHR to SHR2. One of the original reasons I was going to choose a non SHR (and I was leaning toward RAID 10) was speed/performance. However I forgot that RAID 10 isn't expandable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.