Currently reading
Question Raid type for RS1619xs+

NAS
RS820+, DS718+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I’m looking to pickup a RS1619xs+ for my business. I recently purchased a DS718+ for a client of mine, where I’m using SHR1 for raid.

I like the SHR raid type because you can later add bigger drives and then expand the volume.

With the xs models SHR is not available due to the fact this is geared more towards enterprise. With that being said I’m looking for today’s best practice of raid types, in a 4 bay setup. I’m looking to have a two disk fault tolerance as well. It used to be that raid 5 was the go to type, but that has since changed as these devices added other types of raid support.

With a synology device, if in the future I add bigger drives to increase storage, do I have to blow out the raid 6 and re-do it? (Copy the data off, re-build the array, and copy it back)

No you don't. But keep in mind:

• If you add a new disk, make sure it at least the same size as the other disks. Otherwise, the entire RAID array disk size will decrease to the smallest disk in the array
  • Same goes for the read/write speeds of the disk
  • So this also means, if you add a bigger disk , you cannot use the extra space on that disk untill ALL disks in the array are replaced with a bigger disk.
  • Expanding a RAID array is a one-way street. If you increase it from let's say 4 to 5 disk, then it has to stay with 5 disks. You cannot 'downgrade' it back to 4 disks, otherwise you then WILL have to rebuild the entire RAID array.
These are things you have to keep in mind which you normally woulnd't have to worry about with SHR.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.