NAS
DS923+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi !

I want to buy a DS923+ but I'm struggle with the RAM. I cannot afford the Synology RAM ( more than 400 € for 1 16 Gb slot duh...) so I want to take a third party one but I'm stressful a little bit about that.

I have seen that the crucial one (ref. CT2K16G4SFD8266) are compatible but if I have any issue regarding the NAS during warranty support, Synology can refuse it because of it ? I will obliviously keep the Synology one but with the logs I think they can know. Also I have read on this forum, Synology send them email because they have changed the RAM for a non compatible one...

Regarding European law, if the RAM are not the root cause of the issue, they must replace it but we know that it will be legal battle between me and them and I don't want it.

Do you have any info regarding this annoying thing ?

Thanks a lot ;)

Not sure what you mean. Just go to the nearest store and pick up any suitable DDR4 SODIMM? :) I agree their prices are just silly.

I cannot take any DDR4 SO-DIMM RAM, some are not compatible (no boot at all). Some are listed "Compatible" but every RAM except the Synology one are not valided by them. My concern is for support. If I use non Synology RAM, I will be flagged by Synology and if I need RMA they don't accept it because of that.

I'm really upset against Synology. That can be easy and take whatever but no they trick you and force you a little to take their pricey references.

I've seen this reference Timetec DDR4-2666 16GB, it seems to be good but there are not available in Europe sadly :(

Upvote 0
Last edited by a moderator:
If you need Synology support, you can just remove the RAM before approaching them. In all likelihood you won't even need support.

Regarding warranty, you dont say which European country you're in, but in many EU countries your contract is with the retailer you bought the item from, not the manufacturer; so you'd return a faulty NAS to the retailer, not Synology. 'RMAs' and dealing directly with Synology if your brand new NAS is faulty dominates forums online but is primarily an American thing.

Upvote 0
Yeah ! I think I will take the Crucial one :)

If someone have reviewing this (mail from Synology or something) I take :)

Thanks a lot for all your answers !

Upvote 0
Yeah ! I think I will take the Crucial one

If someone have reviewing this (mail from Synology or something) I take
Sinology here. We have noted your post, and associated your account with no support. We recommended replacing your noncompatible memory with recommended Synology brand, and performing a full factory reset to ensure potential system corruptions are eradicated. Your unit will notify us when you achieve compliance. Thank you.

Upvote 0
Sinology here. We have noted your post, and associated your account with no support. We recommended replacing your noncompatible memory with recommended Synology brand, and performing a full factory reset to ensure potential system corruptions are eradicated. Your unit will notify us when you achieve compliance. Thank you.

Damned ! I knew that will happen :'( I will sell my NAS to buy the RAM then...

I have read my message again and yup that was completely non sense. I talk about the Crucial RAM, if someone have them in Synology NAS, I take the review ! (NASCompare have done some test and it's work so no need to worry I guess :) )

Upvote 0
Okay so I have ordered my DS923+ and 32 Gb ram (Crucial CT16G4SFD8266 x 2) and it doesn't boot... So this ram is incompatible.

Do you have any recommended ram ? I don't want to order another set of incompatible ram again...

Thanks !

Upvote 0
I got Corsair 2*16GB DDR4 3200Mhz CL22-SODIMM. And they worked. Well, I had issues with slot 2 (perhaps because it went broken), but when I only used one of those the system worked perfectly.
I have order Kingston ECC RAM and I will return the Crucial one. Wait & See.

Upvote 0
Just received my NAS today and ready to deploy it. I got Crucial 4GB DDR4 2666 and will try it and update you.

The only difference with Synology memory is the ECC. Otherwise Crucial is exactly similar to Synology.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Both M.2 Caching (Kingston) and RAM (Crucial) working

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 297
Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.