Currently reading
RAM for DS1621+

NAS
DS1621+, DS1819+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
So I bit the bullet and ordered the DS1621+ to upgrade from my older DS916+ ... the NAS comes with only 4g RAM (shame on Synology) ... adding another 8g ECC module is over $200 US. Does anyone have source to look at compatible memory that would be less expensive?

thanks ... Stephen

Hi @BoosterT...

On the good side, the RAM is recognised; it also passes the memory test in the Synology Assistant app in Windows.
On the bad side, they are clever enough to put a Notification up after a reboot to remind you of your naughtiness in using non-official RAM.

That irritates me personally. The sort of thing that could make me change next time to a non-Synology solution. It is cheap easy profit, trying to force people to buy their own over priced 'extras' to the basic NAS you buy.

Rant over. Conclusion: It works for me!
What is the exact memory configuration (make, model, size sms quantity) you used since your earlier posts indicate that you tried the KSM26SED8/16ME and got the warning ... a Reddit users post here indicates they tried the same model (2 x 16GB) and it worked, without the warning messages so keen to find out what differences may be?

Upvote 0
Hi - thinking about buying the DS1621+ (it will be both my first NAS and Synology unit ... coming from a Drobo DAS). Is it worth buying 2 16gb Archer RAM modules to max it out at 32gb, or do you think just the 20gb (4gb Synology + 16gb Archer) is enough? I have zero experience with a NAS...and plan to use it for lots of different things including Plex media server (and maybe Time Machine backups). Just wondering if I should save myself $140 since I'm already going to be spending a fortune getting this all setup. But if it's worth the extra RAM, I would rather set it all up that way now. Appreciate any thoughts!

Also - I was planning on buying the Netgear GS324T smart managed pro switch (for Link Aggregation with LACP), and 2 Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 500GB M.2 for the unit as well. (Sorry if I'm throwing too many things into this comment). Thanks!

Upvote 0
I'm having no issue with 20G RAM ... as for NVME I'd hold off and see if it matters ... unless you're running VMs, it won't make much of a difference. You're better to put the money into a 10gbe card and get a 10gbe connection.

Upvote 0
and 2 Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 500GB M.2 for the unit
As much as I agree with @BoosterT, would like to say that nvme will come in handy while working with repeating a large number of smaller files that are accessed often. One example would be Plex server DB and metadata.

If your nvme cache would be attached to a volume with plex data files on you will notice a great boost while accessing the server and browsing the libraries especially from multiple clients/users. In general, it would be beneficial for any service that you will use that has any database type needs or a large number of frequently used data that can be cached.

Ofc, you can also add these later on just like RAM, so no need to get it out the gate on day 1, just saying.

From personal experience, having Plex running with HDD+nvme cache has proven to be much faster than without a cache volume and also about the same while running it on a pure SSD volume as well.

Upvote 0
What is the exact memory configuration (make, model, size sms quantity) you used since your earlier posts indicate that you tried the KSM26SED8/16ME and got the warning ... a Reddit users post here indicates they tried the same model (2 x 16GB) and it worked, without the warning messages so keen to find out what differences may be?
Hi @ninja888,
Apologies, missed your question in there. My memory you will find at: Kingston site. 2x16GB. Should be the middle option.

It works fine and survives the Synology memory test. The message on startup is frustrating though...

Upvote 0
As much as I agree with @BoosterT, would like to say that nvme will come in handy while working with repeating a large number of smaller files that are accessed often. One example would be Plex server DB and metadata.

If your nvme cache would be attached to a volume with plex data files on you will notice a great boost while accessing the server and browsing the libraries especially from multiple clients/users. In general, it would be beneficial for any service that you will use that has any database type needs or a large number of frequently used data that can be cached.

Ofc, you can also add these later on just like RAM, so no need to get it out the gate on day 1, just saying.

From personal experience, having Plex running with HDD+nvme cache has proven to be much faster than without a cache volume and also about the same while running it on a pure SSD volume as well.
Thanks very much, @Rusty ! I'm a huge Plex user with multiple clients, etc., so that is good info to know. Think I'm going to go ahead and get both the 2 M.2's (hopefully 500gb each is enough) and 1 16gb RAM chip to increase the memory to 20gb. I also still need to buy a new switch to support Link Aggregation, so am curious if that really does make a big difference in throughput from a Plex perspective if I hookup all 4 network cables to it (and also over the network to my mac mini for reading/writing to it). Thanks again.

Upvote 0
so am curious if that really does make a big difference in throughput from a Plex perspective if I hookup all 4 network cables to it (and also over the network to my mac mini for reading/writing to it).
LAG will be beneficial when "attacking" your NAS from multiple clients at the same time. With 4x1G setup you will have a situation where each of the 4 clients that are talking with your NAS will have a dedicated 1G lane. In the case of let's say 2 clients at the same time each will again get a single 1G lane.

Even if you have a client that uses also a LAG setup, communication would not be multiple 1G transfer speeds but again, just a single 1G. Still with multiple concurrent transfers towards the NAS, LAG will be beneficial.

Upvote 0
A bit off topic.

A new thread on this would be interesting as I'm getting a new switch to play with. I have been thinking how LAG-less routers and APs could benefit clients using backhaul through a centralised 'hub' switch that uses LAG to the NAS. Synology recommends no switches in the backhaul but then the router to wired LAN will be a 1Gb bottleneck for all wireless clients.

If there are wired clients at AP locations then a 'spoke' switch that LAGs back to the 'hub' switch would also improve bandwidth speeds too. The number of supported LAGs on the 'hub' switch would be a factor in how expandable this could be.

That's my next project :)

Upvote 0
I nearly fell-off my chair when I saw the price of the sticker on 'Synology' ECC RAM - around £700 for a pair of sticks!

The RAM that Synology is using is nothing special either - just regular generic Samsung ECC RAM with a sticker on top. They didn't even bother to go for a different PCB colour or even include their brand on the PCB design. Quite simply they are devoid of shame.

Samsung-Synology ECC.JPG

:eek:

So I am looking for 16GB DDR4 2666MHz CL19 ECC Unbuffered SODIMMs but my Google-Fu is struggling to find both a sane price and actually in stock.

Does anyone have a source for ECC SODIMMs in the UK for my RS1221+ (it uses the same memory as the DS1621+ above) - ideally ones that do not throw up the warning message?

Regards to all.

Upvote 0
This is what I bought for my DS1621+ from Amazon:

Arch Memory Replacement for Synology D4ECSO-2666-16G 16 GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 260-Pin ECC So-dimm RAM

I can't find the link on Amazon now ... but here is a direct link:

The module is $189 US ... and I do not get the incompatible RAM warning when rebooting.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.