Currently reading
RAM for DS1621+

NAS
DS1621+, DS1819+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
So I bit the bullet and ordered the DS1621+ to upgrade from my older DS916+ ... the NAS comes with only 4g RAM (shame on Synology) ... adding another 8g ECC module is over $200 US. Does anyone have source to look at compatible memory that would be less expensive?

thanks ... Stephen

Last edited:
A follow up ... I found this at the Newegg site .. .does anyone have experience with SK Hynix

16GB DDR4 2666 ECC SODIMM Synology D4ECSO-2666-16G Equivalent Server Memory RAM​

and this at Amazon.ca

Arch Memory Replacement for Synology D4ECSO-2666-16G 16 GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 260-Pin ECC So-dimm RAM​

Upvote 0
Hynix brand has been around for many years. I've not bought them but have a memory of something having Hynix.

The brand I've used for all my Macs and the DS218+ is Crucial, which is the commercial side of Micron.

The DS1621+ is very new and the Synology modules are ECC SODIMM while when searching Crucial's site for DS1819+ (which can use the same ECC 16GB module) all that comes back are non-ECC.

NAS Compares has a thin post on DS1621xs+ RAM upgrade.

Upvote 1
I've not bought them but have a memory of something having Hynix
I would avoid Hynix with Syno. It worked for me alongside existing syno module inside, but as a standalone module all x18+ modules would not boot up

Upvote 0
Thanks ... DS1621+ is not due to reach me until Nov 6 so I have some time.
Hi @BoosterT...

On the good side, the RAM is recognised; it also passes the memory test in the Synology Assistant app in Windows.
On the bad side, they are clever enough to put a Notification up after a reboot to remind you of your naughtiness in using non-official RAM.

That irritates me personally. The sort of thing that could make me change next time to a non-Synology solution. It is cheap easy profit, trying to force people to buy their own over priced 'extras' to the basic NAS you buy.

Rant over. Conclusion: It works for me!

Upvote 0
Just thought I'd update folks: I ordered this from Amazon: Arch Memory Replacement for Synology D4ECSO-2666-16G 16GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 260-Pin ECC SO-DIMM RAM. It arrived today and the NAS arrived yesterday. I installed the DIMM and rebooted. No problems. Perhaps more important, I did NOT get the incompatible RAM warning that usually comes from non-Synology RAM. DS1621+ happily chugging along with 20GB RAM.

Upvote 0
I’m also looking at getting the DS1621+, and looking to upgrade to the memory.

Does this look like it should work with it?
(I’ve always bought Crucial memory in the past so would prefer to buy Crucial again).

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.