RAM upgrade for DS1621+

NAS
1621+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi, guys and gals!

I want to bring a small contribution to this forum, for all of you looking to ugrade that paltry 4Gb of RAM. It's already almost a year I've been using this without any error, the NAS sees it as original. Got it from amazon Germany,

PHS-memory 16GB RAM Memory for Synology DiskStation DS1621+ DDR4 SO DIMM ECC 2666MHz PC4-2666V-P​

Look it up and if it suits you, buy it in confidence. I got two 16 Gb modules, so my DS1621+ runs on 32 GB RAM.

All the best!

Attachments

• 61EyeAk0dBL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    61EyeAk0dBL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 58
For others... any memory stick meeting spec is fine. Regardless of brand. There are only a small handful of chipmakers, and the board assembly is done be an even smaller set of fabrication machines... any brand will do... Get the cheapest stick that has the optimal delivery for your use.

For others... any memory stick meeting spec is fine. Regardless of brand. There are only a small handful of chipmakers, and the board assembly is done be an even smaller set of fabrication machines... any brand will do... Get the cheapest stick that has the optimal delivery for your use.

True but unless the RAM firmware has the Synology friendly information programmed into you will, at some point, get a warning message and the flag will be set in the Synology-readable log in the DS1621+ (although in this case I have yet to see the actual RAM firmware, so we are just taking the distributer's word for it). I guess that the OP is making efforts to avoid this.

Finding yourself with no warranty support, even with an unrelated failure, is quite painful... as I can testify. 🤕

Not that revised firmware is always a declaration of intent, DSM7 has the ability to prevent a full boot if an 'incompatible' peripheral such as RAM, NIC or HDD is used. Currently on this particular NAS the flags are set not to fire but Synology left the circle of trust a while ago. For those who purchased this unit pre-DSM7 (when it could use a wide range of third-party accessories) now find themselves with expensive or practically impossible limitations that did not exist at the time of purchase.

Some details:

True but unless the RAM firmware has the Synology friendly information programmed into you will, at some point, get a warning message and the flag will be set in the Synology-readable log in the DS1621+ (although in this case I have yet to see the actual RAM firmware, so we are just taking the distributer's word for it). I guess that the OP is making efforts to avoid this.
I suspect memory identification is like drive identification where a database is contained by DSM. Still, it is all about the spec. Warnings are simply FUD. User must decide.

Last edited:
As an aside, the amount of hashed data about your NAS that the latest GA DSM and Beta DSM is sending back to Synology seems to increase massively at each recent itteration. Not sure why Synology HQ needs to know all the user names and details, for example.

I suspect memory identification is like drive identification where a database is contained by DSM. Still, it is all about the spec. Warnings are simply FUD. User must decide.

It is impossible to say how they do it now, only how they did it before they hid it in the binary and transmitted it as hashed data. We do know that pre-DSM7 Synology maintained a blacklist (actually called a 'blacklist') that contained all the major RAM module manufacturers - it was an active discrimination. Of course, it wasn't actually used against the consumer in DSM6.

I don't think you can call actual warranty denial 'FUD'. I had to diagnose and then fix my RS1221+ issue myself when Synology washed their hands of it. Many will not have the tools, knowledge or access to parts in order to self-fix.

☕

For what its worth i've just put 2x IN4V16GEELSX (2x16GB ) bought from insight.co.uk in my DS1821+ and so far so good.
Saw on reddit that this has been used by others without (so far) any issues <link here>

dmidecode results below.

dmidecode -t memory
# dmidecode 3.2
Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.
SMBIOS 3.1.1 present.

Handle 0x001E, DMI type 16, 23 bytes
Physical Memory Array
Use: System Memory
Error Correction Type: Multi-bit ECC
Maximum Capacity: 64 GB
Error Information Handle: 0x0021
Number Of Devices: 2

Handle 0x001F, DMI type 17, 40 bytes
Memory Device
Array Handle: 0x001E
Error Information Handle: 0x0022
Total Width: 72 bits
Data Width: 64 bits
Size: 16384 MB
Form Factor: SODIMM
Set: None
Locator: DIMM 0
Bank Locator: P0 CHANNEL A
Type: DDR4
Type Detail: Synchronous Unbuffered (Unregistered)
Speed: 3200 MT/s
Manufacturer: 0702
Serial Number: 00080000
Asset Tag: Not Specified
Part Number: Unknown
Configured Memory Speed: 2400 MT/s
Minimum Voltage: 1.2 V
Maximum Voltage: 1.2 V
Configured Voltage: 1.2 V

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.