Currently reading
Random download failure with large files via Filestations share links

NAS
DS720+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi, anyone encountered with problems with downloading large files (2-5GB) via share links from FileStation?

DS720+, DSM 7.0.1, using DDNS (like johndoe.synology.me), disabled filesharing via Quickconnect. So it wont go through Syno servers, which is slow. Internet is fiber optic 400/80.

When I share some larger files (2-5GB) via Filestation share links, users often report, that download fails randomly at various progress. They need to restart download 2-3 times to complete it correctly.

We used FTP in the past. It worked fine. We switched to share links, because its more convenient. Can anyone advice pls?

Thanks.

Perhaps a 3rd party solution via Docker, just to see if you will have the same issue. Also, can you test the file without the use of a DDNS name? Just use a direct public IP address. This way you can eliminate yet another services that is not under your control, and see how it behaves.

Upvote 0
Perhaps a 3rd party solution via Docker, just to see if you will have the same issue. Also, can you test the file without the use of a DDNS name? Just use a direct public IP address. This way you can eliminate yet another services that is not under your control, and see how it behaves.
Are you on a VPN connection?
No VPN, I just generate share link from filestation and send it to user.
-- post merged: --

Will try. But, if it will work okay, how to hide my IP address? I dont wanna to send it within link.

Upvote 0
Will try. But, if it will work okay, how to hide my IP address? I dont wanna to send it within link.
Well 1st test it, just to be sure. Then, if you are running a static public IP, you can register your own custom domain name and use it in your links, or try with another DDNS provider, and not use Syno one.

Upvote 0
Not sure if it is feasible in your particular situation but for security reasons (do not want to expose the NAS) I use the “data in the middle principle”.

I will put the files that need sharing in a specific folder on the NAS.
These are then uploaded to the cloud (google drive for example) using cloud-sync.
the google drive is than used for the share.

Upvote 0
Not sure if it is feasible in your particular situation but for security reasons (do not want to expose the NAS) I use the “data in the middle principle”.

I will put the files that need sharing in a specific folder on the NAS.
These are then uploaded to the cloud (google drive for example) using cloud-sync.
the google drive is than used for the share.
Yea, we were doing this similarly with FTP. It worked okay, no randomly failed downloads. Users downloaded through totalcommander, filezilla, etc. We wanted to avoid copying files to dedicated folders, enabling/disabling FTP service when files were ready for download, so we move to share links. We want to get rid of any other services/work....only if those share links worked properly. I had deleted DDNS, will test without it.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Also you could try sharing using Synology Drive (also via DDNS) just to be sure File Station is not the one causing problems.
Did a test without DDNS and it appears that it works. Users downloaded several GB's without failure. Maybe Syno DDNS is the culprit. Will try with other DDNS. Thank you for help.

//UPDATE: still problems with one user. I will test more also with other users. Maybe yesterday it just have a good day to work :)

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Did you tried to restart the NAS?
Is your NAS directly connected with a cable to the router?

Anyway, I don't think that share links works good with large files.

And if you have more users downloading large file at the same time, I think that you need a good amount of RAM, if synology can handle it correctly, I don't know. There is on internet another thread with a lot of people with the same issue.

Upvote 0
Have you expanded the RAM?
Today I am going to pick up 4GB RAM. I will test then. DSM report about 100MB free RAM, swap is using about 200-300MB. I dont have any running containers or VM's. I think that even basic 2GB might be enough for such simple task like downloading files.
-- post merged: --

Did you tried to restart the NAS?
Is your NAS directly connected with a cable to the router?

Anyway, I don't think that share links works good with large files.

And if you have more users downloading large file at the same time, I think that you need a good amount of RAM, if synology can handle it correctly, I don't know. There is on internet another thread with a lot of people with the same issue.
Tried restarting, and its connected directly to router, 1Gb speed. I will upgrade RAM today, so I will test more.

Upvote 0
Update:
I have tested with upgraded RAM to 6GB. Its still happening. Even when I want to upload larger file through FileStation to NAS over internet (DDNS, QC, wont make a difference), it fails randomly saying "upload of file xyz.mkv failed. connection failed, check your network settings" Resoruce monitor-memory reporting over 1GB RAM free.

Is there any file in DSM, where I can see through SSH more about "connection failed"?

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back