User introduction Realy newby. I need a hand to help me start

Currently reading
User introduction Realy newby. I need a hand to help me start

Hello,
I just bought my first DS220+.
After reading a lot about it today, I am scared.
I had before Dobo and Qnap.
But they were straightforward
On one side my PC and in the other side the Drobo drive, yes, like a drive.
Just copy/move files from one to other.
Here, I got lost.
Can somebody guide me in the right direction?
My interest is to have a NAS raid 1 where to store my important files, and in case of disaster find them and recover them.
It is a simple task.
The second is to have the capability to access the NAS from anywhere in the world through the internet, like a browser.
Let's say I am in Europe, and I want a file from the NAS, I just want to be able to access my folder and retrieve it.
It is not much that I ask, but at my stage now, I am lost.
Please help
Thank you.

First and foremost, welcome to the forum !

Regarding your new device, it will be straightforward too and a good experience again.

My interest is to have a NAS raid 1 where to store my important files, and in case of disaster find them and recover them.
Did you do the first time setup or not yet ? If you did, then you have already made what is called a "storage pool" and chosen a RAID type. RAID1 is available in DS220+ since this RAID type requires two disks.

The second is to have the capability to access the NAS from anywhere in the world through the internet, like a browser.
Let's say I am in Europe, and I want a file from the NAS, I just want to be able to access my folder and retrieve it.
You can setup remote access to your NAS from anywhere in the world but first you need to make sure of a reasonable degree of security to block any unwanted access attempts. This is called "system hardening".
Once you do basic hardening, you can access your files from anywhere in the world.

@Saqr: Thank you for all your suggestions. At first power up I did not have 2 drives, so no option for raid 1. I will get the drives today and restart the process from scratch. About the hardening and the rest, I will read somewhere (????? because the company does not have very clear user manuals) and do it.
@SynoMan: Thank you for your welcome wishes. Yes, I will post for sure my questions in the forum. What section is recommended for new users ?
@Rusty: Thank you for your welcome wishes. You will see me soon in the new user section putting questions like every new user.
I hope to find the answers and guidance.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.