Recently upgraded to DSM 7.0 and lost access via SMB.

Currently reading

NAS
RS1219+, DS416, DS414, DS220+, DS218j, RS1221+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Last edited:

Here the steps that i followed.
1. Backup everything via HyperBackup
2. Upgrade to DSM 7
2. Restore everything

After that, all of the users and shared folders were restored perfectly, but allthough users have access to DiskStation through WEB they cannot login through SMB.
File explorer responds to login with "\\nas is not accessible.You might not having permission to use this network resourse. Contact..."

I tried it with a few different users including a user belonging to administrators group.

In Windows site i tried the following.
1. On "Windows Credential Manager" delete the entry for nas and tried again.
2. Reboot Windows machine and tried again.

Every time, windows respond is not accessible

Any idea will be appreciated.

Stathis Alexopoulos

Maybe this will help.
mkJ07Cs.png

Last edited:
There was no difference between two files, except the workgroup name and min protocol which was 1 in my case because i have a mix of Windows 10 and Windows XP in my network.

Anyway I did the mentioned solution but did not worked, either with min protocol 1 or 2.

Is there any other place to look at?

I’m having a problem with DSM 7 local users and LDAP users with the same name (I.e. exc. LDAP domain). Affects access to shared folders and SMB. If one account is assigned no access but the other has read-only/read-write then both get the lower access rights.

Still working this out with Synology Support.

Finally solved the problem. Here the description of steps for the future reader.

First of all, DSM 7 has a new application on user properties called SMB. So for having access must enable it for every user or group.

Having done that, most of the machines connected perfectly.

But there were some machines who refused to login successfully. The login failed and on Log Center of DSM there was an entry "User [xxxxxx] from [xx.xx.xx.xx] failed to log in via [SMB] due to [NTLMv1 not permitted]."

To solve it, i followed the suggestion of @bazzer at community.synology.com

You need administration rights on your Windows machine to do it.
  1. Hit Windows key + S to open the Search on taskbar
  2. Type Security and select the "Local Security Policy"
  3. In the left pane expand Local Policies and select Security Options
  4. In the right pane select "Network Security: LAN Manager Authentication Level" and double-click it.
  5. Under the Local Security Tab change the drop down box from "Send LM & NTLM responses" to "Send NTLMv2 responses only."
After that, the problem solved.

Finally solved the problem. Here the description of steps for the future reader.

First of all, DSM 7 has a new application on user properties called SMB. So for having access must enable it for every user or group.

Having done that, most of the machines connected perfectly.

But there were some machines who refused to login successfully. The login failed and on Log Center of DSM there was an entry "User [xxxxxx] from [xx.xx.xx.xx] failed to log in via [SMB] due to [NTLMv1 not permitted]."

To solve it, i followed the suggestion of @bazzer at community.synology.com

You need administration rights on your Windows machine to do it.
  1. Hit Windows key + S to open the Search on taskbar
  2. Type Security and select the "Local Security Policy"
  3. In the left pane expand Local Policies and select Security Options
  4. In the right pane select "Network Security: LAN Manager Authentication Level" and double-click it.
  5. Under the Local Security Tab change the drop down box from "Send LM & NTLM responses" to "Send NTLMv2 responses only."
After that, the problem solved.

It's don't work in my Synology. We Solved this:

Copy
/etc.defaults/samba/smb.conf
to
/etc/samba/smb.conf via SSH (putty, midnight commander or something)
clear the SMB cache
and all works fine in the moment :)

Regards

Ran into this problem with a new DS920+ running DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 3.
We have about 15 Synology NAS units of various vintages and some aging NAS of other brands that require SMB1.
No amount of specifying username/password combinations allowed us to access the Shared Folder using SMB.
Thought it was an SMB1 problem until I read the log message closely: "User [administrator] from <IP address> failed to log in via [SMB] due to [NTLMv1 not permitted].
The full solution is described by Stahis above, but there is a new option in Control Panel:
File Services > SMB > Advanced Settings > Other > "Enable NTLMv1 authentication"
This allows login until you can get NTLMv2 fully operational.
Ray

@tomassek -- I signed-up just to thank you for your post.

I spent hours with this Synology DSM 7 upgrade breaks SMB issue, nothing worked.

It wasn't until I replaced the smb.conf file, that I fixed the problem -- thanks to your post!

Bash:
sudo su
rm /etc/samba/smb.conf
cp /etc/samba.defaults/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf

Dears and dear @MediaManny
I have the same problem but I can't solve as you said: it seems the my file sys is different.
I logged in ssh of diskstation but when I apply the commands it seems that the folders does not exist. I'm not at all a Linux expert, could you kindly advice?
below some trials

root@Diskstation:~# sudo -i cd etc
-ash: line 0: cd: etc: No such file or directory
root@Diskstation:~# sudo mkdir -p /etc/samba
root@Diskstation:~# sudo cp /usr/share/samba/smb.conf /etc/samba
cp: cannot stat '/usr/share/samba/smb.conf': No such file or directory
root@Diskstation:~# sudo su
rm /etc/samba/smb.conf
cp /etc/samba.defaults/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.confash-4.4# rm /etc/samba/smb.conf
rm: cannot remove '/etc/samba/smb.conf': No such file or directory
ash-4.4# cp /etc/samba.defaults/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf
cp: cannot stat '/etc/samba.defaults/smb.conf': No such file or directory
ash-4.4# ok
ash: ok: command not found
ash-4.4# sudo mkdir -p /etc/samba
ash-4.4# cd..
ash: cd..: command not found
ash-4.4# cp /etc/samba.defaults/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.confash-4.4# rm /etc/samba/smb.conf
cp: target '/etc/samba/smb.conf' is not a directory
ash-4.4# sudo cp /etc/samba.defaults/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.confash-4.4# rm /etc/samba/smb.conf
ash-4.4# cp /etc/samba.defaults/ /etc/samba/smb.confash-4.4# rm /etc/samba/smb.conf
ash-4.4# cp /etc/samba.defaults/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf
ash-4.4# cp /etc/samba.defaults/smb.conf /etc/samba
ash-4.4#

cp /etc/samba.defaults/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.confash-4.4# rm /etc/samba/smb.conf

These lines where you try and copy a file all contain the junk in bold at the end. It's not possible to tell if this is just bad formatting in your post or if you are actually typing this in your copy command.

To be clear, the commands you need to type are:

Bash:
sudo su <RETURN>
rm /etc/samba/smb.conf <RETURN>
cp /etc/samba.defaults/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf <RETURN>
exit <RETURN>
The <RETURN> part means 'Press the Return button'; don't type this.

Then, clear your SMB cache in the Synology GUI as per @Telos post above.

Sooooo kind! This night I will try again.
what it is sure is that where I command rm /etc/samba/smb.conf, the prompt replies that there is no file at that path

Last edited by a moderator:
Sooooo kind! This night I will try again.
what it is sure is that where I command rm /etc/samba/smb.conf, the prompt replies that there is no file at that path
That's fine; this just means you have already deleted it. We're just making sure it's deleted before you try to recreate it with the next command.

Thanks @Fortran
I hate to mind you but I have just tryed with no luck
1677529980218.png

If i do "suso su" on ldibiase@diskstation the password is prompt but it doesn't recognize my password and give just "ash-4.4#"
no idea....I'm really ignorant about linux

Last edited by a moderator:
It didn't ignore it. You now have root prompt.
@Telos - I'm not in front of a Syno at the moment...do you know where the default smb.conf is on the new DSM 7?? @morettomail cant seem to find it.

If you could take a look and give him the correct cp.... command that'd be a (y) .

Cheers!
-- post merged: --

Ok I'm on a Syno. It lools like the location of the default smb.conf has changed since the instructions at the top of this post were posted in 2021.

@morettomail the correct cp command is below:
Bash:
cp /etc.defaults/samba/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf

Follow the steps in post 11, but substitute the above line for the previous 'cp' line.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.