Status
Not open for further replies.
NAS
DS220+, DS918+, RS1219+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Not sure if this is the right forum, but I'll be looking for a new home network setup soon. Would the synology router or an ubiquiti setup be better for the jobs below?

1. Basic home networking. Streaming movies, music, accessing files on NAS.
2. Ease of setup with my Ds918 plus. I want to allow remote access. I use my NAS for pc backup, direct file storage, and as a media server for photos/videos
3. Run surveillance cameras. I currently have a wifi amcrest, but plan on getting several more poe cameras. Possibly up to 5 total. I don't need continuous recording, but would like to save triggered recordings.
4. Remote surveillance cam monitoring/recording from a 2nd, external network. Would set up a vlan per this thread. From this thread that I accidentally ghosted out of, I am leaning away from an ubiquiti UDM for my main router if I do go the ubiquiti route, although I'd still consider it from the remote site to set up the vlan. Is the ubiquiti dream machine an acceptable router?
5. There is currently a wifi extension setup at the new house (it is a large farm yard. I don't remember the bran, but it is not ubiquiti. Would need a port on the router for the wifi extenders to plug into

Thanks all for any ideas.

follow your segments:
1. any brand

2. any brand+ NAS side with Syno Quickconnect, DDNS/NAT or fixed public WAN IP

3. PoE is the trigger of your architecture- you need PoE switch, because Syno router doesn’t have PoE ports, neither UDM. Don’t forget read about PoE standards here. Then when you will chose Unifi you can manage all devices from single point (router + switch). But it isn’t mandatory requirement.
When you need manage:
- 2x 1G ports of NAS, LACP for an aggregation is appreciated (to achieve 2Gbps throughput for the NAS)
- 1x from router
- 5x from Cams
- some for computers, TV, other devices + few port as reserve for a future development
you need 10+ ports switch with min 5 PoE ports (read carefully my post recommendations).... then 16 ports is a nearest standard.
Definitely Unifi is a really good choice.

4. UDM you can’t use for a multisite networking. It’s entry level router. as was described in my mentioned thread. Then you can use two Syno 2600 or two Unifi USG (even USG Pro). With USG Pro you will get dramatically better performance for full IPS guardians than for USG = only when you can evaluate a better sleeping.

5. the WiFi extension you can:
- connect to the switch (because you need the switch) ... no need add cost
- change to Unifi AP to get same or even better range and conditions
- change to Syno Mesh netw.

conclusion:
- new Syno 2600 is reasonable choice with new switch (Netgear or others)
- new Unifi USG or USG Pro is also perfect choice (from my personal side better than Syno), include Unifi switch. But you need avoid UDM, what can’t support your expectations.
- last but really heavy advantage for the router choice is network controller running in the NAS container. Then Unifi USG/Pro is my choice. This isn’t supported in UDM.

follow your segments:
1. any brand

2. any brand+ NAS side with Syno Quickconnect, DDNS/NAT or fixed public WAN IP

3. PoE is the trigger of your architecture- you need PoE switch, because Syno router doesn’t have PoE ports, neither UDM. Don’t forget read about PoE standards here. Then when you will chose Unifi you can manage all devices from single point (router + switch). But it isn’t mandatory requirement.
When you need manage:
- 2x 1G ports of NAS, LACP for an aggregation is appreciated (to achieve 2Gbps throughput for the NAS)
- 1x from router
- 5x from Cams
- some for computers, TV, other devices + few port as reserve for a future development
you need 10+ ports switch with min 5 PoE ports (read carefully my post recommendations).... then 16 ports is a nearest standard.
Definitely Unifi is a really good choice.

4. UDM you can’t use for a multisite networking. It’s entry level router. as was described in my mentioned thread. Then you can use two Syno 2600 or two Unifi USG (even USG Pro). With USG Pro you will get dramatically better performance for full IPS guardians than for USG = only when you can evaluate a better sleeping.

5. the WiFi extension you can:
- connect to the switch (because you need the switch) ... no need add cost
- change to Unifi AP to get same or even better range and conditions
- change to Syno Mesh netw.

conclusion:
- new Syno 2600 is reasonable choice with new switch (Netgear or others)
- new Unifi USG or USG Pro is also perfect choice (from my personal side better than Syno), include Unifi switch. But you need avoid UDM, what can’t support your expectations.
- last but really heavy advantage for the router choice is network controller running in the NAS container. Then Unifi USG/Pro is my choice. This isn’t supported in UDM.

Thanks again. I was planning on not doing the UDM for the main router due to all the things you mentioned in the previous thread. I was thinking it could possibly be used at the remote site, but maybe not. I should look into what ubiquiti has for wifi extenders or something for the remote site instead of doing the vlan. I currently live several miles from the remote site and so that was the point of the vlan, but my new house will only be 800ft away, so I might get away with an extender.

I was curious if there was any real benefit to the synology router, but it doesn't sound like it.

if you don’t need multisite network, controlled from single point you can use UDM at the remote site. But you will save just 50 dollars and you will lose dramatically different architecture in case of USG Pro (magic).

But the most important advantage of the Unifi world is the single network controller for all sites and all the sites devices running in docker, then you get:
- single firmware upgrade point for each site (routers, switches, AP,...), even for the controller itself, From browser, from tablet/phone smart app. Secured.
- you can run two containers of the controller. One as primary controller. Second (stopped) as backup in case of accidentally damage of the first one (buggy new firmware upgrade, ...). The fall back will take 3 seconds. When you will run regular backup of the controller setup, no one will break your slipping.

Re the extender:
you need to count, that uplink will eat some bandwidth
then hardwired AP is better, when it is possible (in each building site)
then you need a device for 800ft (244m) extension, what will pretty kill all common “extenders” what have WiFi extension mentioned in their white papers. But in real situation their are pretty useless. Also when you will operate indoor extenders, you need count that your house walls will eat lot of the energy.
There is a solution based on:
- Unifi UAP Outdoor, what it suitable only for 183 meters for full speed of 300Mbps
- Unifi AC M ... what is outdoor Mesh AP used in streets, stadiums, ... everywhere

if you don’t need multisite network, controlled from single point you can use UDM at the remote site. But you will save just 50 dollars and you will lose dramatically different architecture in case of USG Pro (magic).

But the most important advantage of the Unifi world is the single network controller for all sites and all the sites devices running in docker, then you get:
- single firmware upgrade point for each site (routers, switches, AP,...), even for the controller itself, From browser, from tablet/phone smart app. Secured.
- you can run two containers of the controller. One as primary controller. Second (stopped) as backup in case of accidentally damage of the first one (buggy new firmware upgrade, ...). The fall back will take 3 seconds. When you will run regular backup of the controller setup, no one will break your slipping.

Re the extender:
you need to count, that uplink will eat some bandwidth
then hardwired AP is better, when it is possible (in each building site)
then you need a device for 800ft (244m) extension, what will pretty kill all common “extenders” what have WiFi extension mentioned in their white papers. But in real situation their are pretty useless. Also when you will operate indoor extenders, you need count that your house walls will eat lot of the energy.
There is a solution based on:
- Unifi UAP Outdoor, what it suitable only for 183 meters for full speed of 300Mbps
- Unifi AC M ... what is outdoor Mesh AP used in streets, stadiums, ... everywhere
I'll combine my reply to this into the home Improvements post you requested in my other thread. That will have to wait for tonight though as I'm at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.