Currently reading
Recommendations on purchasing domain

NAS
RS820+, DS718+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I’m looking to purchase my own domain. Any recommendations on service providers? Anything that would easily work with Let’s Encrypt through synology nas?

Solution
Verdict:

Thanks all of the suggestions.

I had narrowed down to two and bounced back and forth between google domains and dreamhost, I’ve decided on google domains.

Dreamhost is a wonderful product, and their customer service was beyond awesome! (Thanks to @Rusty for this recommendation).

Reason why I chose google domains, was the mere fact of the additional built in dynamic dns (ddns) service along with your domain name registration. What’s more is that synology has direct support for google dns. I currently use dyndns, and pay a decent amount for that service. By using google domains now I can essentially get rid of that account and merge it.

What’s even more is the ability to setup a subdomain ddns at another remote...
I’m looking to purchase my own domain. Any recommendations on service providers? Anything that would easily work with Let’s Encrypt through synology nas?
Dreamhost here. 0 problems, works like a charm.

Upvote 0
are you planning on hosting it yourself or do you need hosting too?
if the former then buy the domain from anyone and then point it to your WAN IP.

Upvote 0
Dreamhost here.
I like what I see on their site. It seems that I am so far between Dreamhost and Google domains. I have narrowed down to a domain name, which is available. A few perks that I can see about google domains, its the cheapest, and Synology would support DDNS. How do you do it with Dreamhost?

are you planning on hosting it yourself or do you need hosting too?
No sure which one I would need here. I guess whoever I buy the domain from would host it?

If you need DDNS,
I would need DDNS, since I don't have an ISP static address. I do see google as one of the providers and may use them.

Upvote 0
How do you do it with Dreamhost?
DH owns the domain, that domain is then registered with Cloudflare for DNS and all records are sorted there. Then I simply redirect domain names to my Synology DDNS back to my NAS and onto services I host that's it. Who needs google

Upvote 0
redirect domain names to my Synology DDNS

I've read that if an attacker wanted to exploit synology devices, all they would have to do is look up all the domains registered in the Synology domain. Almost all of these registered domain names would point back to a network where a synology lives. They can then try what they can to get into some of those devices (usually ones that are weaker security). Part of the reason for getting your (my) own domain would be that its harder for an attacker to know that I have a synology and they would have to guess what my chosen domain name is.

Is there any other way to redirect your own domain name to synology, without using the synology DDNS?

Upvote 0
For domain names I have been using gandi.net for many years. They offer a good transparent service, have regular promotion pricing and offer 1 year free SSL cert (single domain) with every new domain name you register, plus you get a couple of 3gb mailboxes with unlimited aliases / forwarding. Their DNS editor works like a text editor so you can put whatever you want in it. Their ethos is No BullSh*t and it is true

Upvote 0
Alright, I was able to resolve the issue. It could be possible that Google Domains would work with Lets Encrypt when registering domain names. Unfortunately since I canceled with them and moved to Dreamhost I can't test that with my resolution below.

So after endless hours i ended up firing up my vdsm of 7.0 that i am previewing & testing and tried it from there. In 7.0 the error message wasn't so vague as dsm 6 ("Failed to connect to Lets Encrypt check to ensure domain is valid") the error message specifically said failed and to check port 80. thats when i contacted my isp via chat

Sure enough they were blocking/filtering port 80. After about 30 mins on hold with chat while they figured out how to fix it, port 80 was opened and i was able to register my domain name and SAN's with LE in synology.

DSM 6 should really have the error message more clear, this costed me days.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Verdict:

Thanks all of the suggestions.

I had narrowed down to two and bounced back and forth between google domains and dreamhost, I’ve decided on google domains.

Dreamhost is a wonderful product, and their customer service was beyond awesome! (Thanks to @Rusty for this recommendation).

Reason why I chose google domains, was the mere fact of the additional built in dynamic dns (ddns) service along with your domain name registration. What’s more is that synology has direct support for google dns. I currently use dyndns, and pay a decent amount for that service. By using google domains now I can essentially get rid of that account and merge it.

What’s even more is the ability to setup a subdomain ddns at another remote location of where my 2nd nas is. I can use mydomain.com or nas1.mydomain.com for my home nas on public up x.x.x.x and have another subdomain named nas2.mydomain.com on public ip y.y.y.y

Next, was the ability to create my own simple website at something.mydomain.com (I may eventually change it to just point it directly to mydomain.com) but for now it works. I can create several pages and is good for a simple way to get my business out there.

In addition to the last point, google offers email forwarding with the domain name. So [email protected] can be forward to my standard gmail address, and you can configure this on gmail where you hide your personal email and make it look like you’re replying from [email protected]

Last, was cost, for only $12 bucks a year I was able to get a .com address and all of the above.

In the end I was able to rectify the let’s encrypt ssl certificate issue, google domains does indeed support LE. The issue for that was that my isp was blocking some traffic on port 80 even tho it was opened.

Upvote 0
Solution
You forgot one additional cost: your privacy.
That's a matter of taste really. If you are a creative, like me a musician, then there is no avoiding Google as you need an account to upload to YouTube. Also you will appear in their search results like it or not, well that's if you want to be discovered and heard.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.