Record 1080p stream from 4k Camera

NAS
DS2413+ & DS1815+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I'm looking at getting 3 or 4 cameras to put on the outside of my house and will use my old DS1815+ to record the streams. I think I want to get 4k cameras but I would like the option to record as 1080p just in case the quantity of data proves a bit too much for my fairly old NAS.

My only experience so far is with a bird box camera streaming to surveillance station and for what I can tell to record at a different resolution the camera has to support the lower resolution stream (which the bird cam does not). I can't see any way to transcode on surveillance station as I record. Is this correct?

If so, do all 4k cameras support a 1080p stream? Even if I could transcode it would be better to pick up a native stream as the atom processor probably wouldn't cope transcoding.

I am looking at Reolink cameras but only because the look reasonable for the price. If I should be looking at a different brand for this that would be fine.

The Amcrest IP8M-T2669EW-AI has the ability to do 1080p (or a bunch of other streams). It's right at $100 on Amazon. The AI is very good and it's a solid metal camera, as opposed to the plastic that many Reolinks use. The next level down for Amcrest is the IP8M-T2599EW, which does not have AI and will only do 4k or 720p. I use both and I think the 2669 is worth the extra investment.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back