Currently reading
Recover Data from removed storage pool

NAS
DS916+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi everyone. First post here on Synoforum so hope this is the right spot. I have a DS916+ which had 4x 4TB drives in a Raid 5 config. I purchased 4x 8TB drives to upgrade the system as was at 92% of capacity. So was going to simply just replace one drive at a time and let system rebuild but then figured easier to just remove all 4x drives and then upgrade to DSM 7 and install the new 4x 8TB drives and restore backups to the new config. This all went to plan then I realised my backups were not up to date. This was after I removed the storage pool config from the original 4x 4TB array as wanted to use them down the line as offsite backup drives. I did not wipe or securely erase these 4x 4TB drives so now hoping there is a way to recover some of the data that is on it as my offsite backup was not current. My thoughts are using a data recover software like DiskInternal Raid Recovery which seems to let you attach the 4x 4TB drives as local independent drives and it will recreate the raid from info on the drives and then let you recover data. This might mean a second 4bay synology device as my current one now holds the new config. Or maybe if I put the 4x 4TB drives back in I can some how reinstate the storage pool and simply grab the data I want. I really wish now I had not removed the storage pool from the original config as I could probably just put those 4x 4TB drives back in and then recover data wanted. Lost as to what steps I can take at this point and love any advice anyone out there might have.

Welcome to the forum!

Data recovery is not my specialty but I have not heard of a raid recovery tool being useful for a Synology system.

There are additional details that you may need to supply (such as file system used etc) but I would suggest using the exact array (and I mean exact, including order of drives) of the original disks and migrate them to a different Synology enclosure.

This 'new' NAS has to be of the same model category and capable of running an array from your Plus model. The next bit may be more tricky - this 'new' NAS has to be on the same DSM version (DSM6 in your case) and must not have been updated to DSM7 or DSM7 beta. Finding a NAS that has not been updated could be a little frustrating though (I have an unused & empty plus-series still on DSM6, so they are still out there but dwindling in numbers). Synology's help pages for the migration application will provide more details.

Good luck!

Welcome to the forum!

Data recovery is not my specialty but I have not heard of a raid recovery tool being useful for a Synology system.

There are additional details that you may need to supply (such as file system used etc) but I would suggest using the exact array (and I mean exact, including order of drives) of the original disks and migrate them to a different Synology enclosure.

This 'new' NAS has to be of the same model category and capable of running an array from your Plus model. The next bit may be more tricky - this 'new' NAS has to be on the same DSM version (DSM6 in your case) and must not have been updated to DSM7 or DSM7 beta. Finding a NAS that has not been updated could be a little frustrating though (I have an unused & empty plus-series still on DSM6, so they are still out there but dwindling in numbers). Synology's help pages for the migration application will provide more details.

Good luck!
Thanks Robbie appreciate your input. I was considering a new NAS but I didn't plan on getting the same model. Do you happen to know if I put the 4drives back into the DS916+ I have is there a way to recreate the storage pool without wiping data? I will look into that migration application again but I thought that was for functioning arrays/storage pools.

Same exact model is not required (as Syno would like you to spend money on an upgrade) so to repeat the above - same model family. The Syno range is split into 'families' that have roughly the same capabilities with the number of drives being the discriminator. There is a published matrix on the migration page that says what can or cannot be migrated. In an overly sweeping statement going up in specification or remaining the same (eg Plus model to new Plus mode) is allowed, but not going the other way. Again, read the Syno pages for Migration for details.

The problem in buying a new enclosure is that we are starting to see new units being shipped with DSM7 firmware included and you cannot go backwards.*

* A person smarter than me will probably post something about getting around this by methods discussed on the internet but will then go hazy about new models or retaining the ability to migrate afterwards. They are free to have that discussion but it is not part of my answer and I will not participate. 🙃

I really wish now I had not removed the storage pool from the original config as I could probably just put those 4x 4TB drives back in and then recover data wanted.
Haven't got any suggestion but just to clarify exactly the situation: Before you removed the 4x 4TB drives, while still logged into DSM 6, you used Storage Manager to remove the RAID 1 storage pool? In effect you deleted the storage pool.

Hi fredbert, yes correct that is exactly what I did. My intention was to use these drives for other purposes and my understanding was they should be removed from an array so they could be used as such. I have researched software that allows arrays to be rebuilt based on the drive info and hoping that will be an option by simply putting the drives into a 4bay enclosure and then restoring data needed.

My intention was to use these drives for other purposes and my understanding was they should be removed from an array so they could be used as such.
Too late now, but that was unnecessary.
I have researched software that allows arrays to be rebuilt based on the drive info and hoping that will be an option by simply putting the drives into a 4bay enclosure and then restoring data needed.
Good luck. I would store images of each drive safely away in the event the recovery process goes sideways.

Hi Telos,
Ahh bugger I was wondering if that was right.

Yes good idea to make image of drives before trying to run recovery. Any particular imaging software you recommend? I have used Acronis before which was great not sure I have that software anymore.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.