Recover DS209+ from bad DSM install

NAS
DS416Play, DS209+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hey guys I have an older DS209+ which I was messing around with. I found some instructions somewhere on how to force the DS into thinking its DS210+ (SAME CPU and HDD Bays). I thought I was getting somewhere with the update however what I have now is a DS209+ which thinks its a DS2110+ running 4.3-3827 (Synology assistant) but wont boot into an working DSM and connect via browser/
It feels like all I have to do is edit a file somewhere which says (I am a DS209+ on x firmware). I only have access to telnet cause I cant access via browser so unable to turn on ssh. I tried altering VERSION and synoinfo.conf in etc.defaults but no luck there. What am I missing? Is there something i can do to force a DS209+ update on without checking the config?

If these instructions say what you had to do to get it to 210 version, why not revert that back to 209?
Hey Rusty thanks for replying.
I have tried all sorts however Synology assistant is reporting a greater DSM value and/or incorrect package, depending on how I recover. It’s like I have a mixture of 209 and 210 config on the NAS.

Hey Rusty thanks for replying.
I have tried all sorts however Synology assistant is reporting a greater DSM value and/or incorrect package, depending on how I recover. It’s like I have a mixture of 209 and 210 config on the NAS.
Not what I meant. You said you have used some instructions correct? Considering that cross DSM install is not officially supported as well as downgrade, my questions is are there any pointers on how to undo this process? Can you try and just reverse the steps in some way? Were there any files that have backed up before this and maybe you can restore them via ssh?

Not what I meant. You said you have used some instructions correct? Considering that cross DSM install is not officially supported as well as downgrade, my questions is are there any pointers on how to undo this process? Can you try and just reverse the steps in some way? Were there any files that have backed up before this and maybe you can restore them via ssh?
I’m in able to use ssh as I can only enable via browser - which is not accessible at moment. Only have telnet which is limited in scope

One observation is that even after I alter synoinfo.conf to say ds209+ m. And also the VERSION file, after next power cycle those files go back to the ds10 configuration. Something is overwriting them but for where.

So all in all, there are no informations on how to revert this from "instructions" that you have found when you pushed the nas from x09 to x10 version. Not really sure what you can do here unless you have backed up whatever files were overwritten.

What steps did you follow exactly?

1. Started off with as working DS209+ On DSM 4.2 3259
2. Enabled SSH
3. Used vi to alter the name of the NAS to DS210+
4. Synology Assistant now reported it was a DS10+
5. Installed DS10+ 4.3 3827. It took it.
6. After restarting I cannot connect via browser and Synology Assistant reporting Ready for Migration
7. Attempted to install DS10+ 4244 which stops saying incompatible update
8. I have tried all manor of versions to downgrade but no joy
9. I can telnet with putty and alter VERSION and synoinfo.cono files to make it look like a DS209+ again but assist thinks its a DS10+ each time now, so can’t install a 209+ DSM

1. Started off with as working DS209+ On DSM 4.2 3259
2. Enabled SSH
3. Used vi to alter the name of the NAS to DS210+
4. Synology Assistant now reported it was a DS10+
5. Installed DS10+ 4.3 3827. It took it.
6. After restarting I cannot connect via browser and Synology Assistant reporting Ready for Migration
7. Attempted to install DS10+ 4244 which stops saying incompatible update
8. I have tried all manor of versions to downgrade but no joy
9. I can telnet with putty and alter VERSION and synoinfo.cono files to make it look like a DS209+ again but assist thinks its a DS10+ each time now, so can’t install a 209+ DSM
Hello,
I'm now in the same situation you were. Did you manage to fix it?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.