Currently reading
Recycle bin, Snapshots, Hyperbackup

NAS
DS923+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
How long do you store your data in the recycle bin, snapshots and hyperbackup?
I initially set the NAS to 3 months recycle bin, 6 months snapshots and 6 months hyperbackup (to a remote NAS) without giving it much thought. However, if I now want to delete a large file, it is first stored in the recycle bin for 3 months, then in the last snapshot for another 6 months and finally in the remote hyperbackup for another 6 months. Without going wild and setting everything to one month, I would like to know how you handle it and what makes sense for a private user. First of all: I mainly use the NAS for photo and video storage and rarely delete large files, but it does happen and then they take up storage space for over a year.

Personally, I do not use the bin, and in terms of snaps and HB that depends on the content. Some have a small number of version/snaps/backups others much longer (sometimes years).

In general for most data, any HB content is usually not older then a 1-2 years for me. Anything that needs to be archived forever is backed up in a separate task that is not overwritten over time.

I believe (though I am not the most experienced user here) that there is no rule about that and it strongly depends on the use case of each user.
For my workflow I use recycle bins on some shared folders that I use as "work" drives. I delete these recycle bins every night via task schedule and then I have schedules for taking snapshots keeping the last 7 of them (practically a week).
That's enough for my use case.
Everything that needs a longer retention has been assigned to Hyper Backup tasks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.