Info Reliability issue with Intel Celeron N3350, J3355, J3455 and Pentium N4200 CPUs

Currently reading
Info Reliability issue with Intel Celeron N3350, J3355, J3455 and Pentium N4200 CPUs

www.blackvoid.club
NAS
DS718+, DS918+, 2x RS3614RPxs+
Router
  1. RT1900ac
  2. RT2600ac
  3. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
Well, look like that c2000 bug was not enough, we now have a confirmed problem with LPC, RTC on selected CPUs:

Intel Celeron N3350, J3355, J3455 and Pentium N4200

Linking a thread on the community forum, just because Syno staff is active in that discussion. Time will tell what will be decided with this problem.

UPDATE: Intel says that Apollo Lake chips are not suffering from this problem!

There are no changes to the B-1 Stepping of the Intel® Celeron® N3350, J3355, J3455 Processors and Intel Pentium N4200 Processor as they meet all Intel quality goals for PC Usage and will continue to be available. The F-1 Apollo Lake Intel Celeron N3350, J3355, J3455 Processors and Intel Pentium N4200 Processor meet all Intel quality goals for PC Usage. With IOTG's operational decision to converge onto a single package for all of the IOTG Apollo Lake Processors, the F-1 stepping Celeron N3350, J3355, J3455 Processors and Pentium N4200 Processor has a slight increase in Z height compared to the B-1 Stepping.

Gents you have to purchase a soldering iron and small resistor ( a repair guide I posted 2-months ago in this forum), then open and drink a beer or two, be getting ready. Then you can send a photo to Synology (better to Intel) as thanksgiving for low cost support.
I really understand your anger. Then I hope, that your devices will survive. All fingers crossed.

Help link

look here
An interesting summary of the new findings from Tomshardware:

Intel is urging its customers to transition existing affected products to the new stepping as soon as possible. To simplify the transition and avoid confusion between the new and old stepping, Intel adding the "E" suffix to the processor names. As a result, the processors with the F1 stepping will be marketed as Celeron J3455E, J3355E, N3350E and Pentium N4200E. If you're shopping and come by one of affected Apollo Lake SKUs, make sure the processor have the "E" suffix.

The question is: when any sales channel knows, that delivered NAS is containing the “E” suffix of mentioned CPUs?
Second - if Synology has this suffixed CPU has in production? It will be bad for them if no.

for a new purchase, Synology needs to add new filtration to Product filters

1568182432191.png

I just saw that. But I don't spend much (any) time trying to understand chip distributor terminology so don't fully know what they mean by "Customers that do not need Intel IOTG Long Life Product Availability". My reading is that the chips are fine but they aren't going to keep make them for long into the future (or keep stocks of them) ... or it means that we (that's us end-customers) are so fickle and will change hardware so soon that the failure won't matter.

ho and hum!

... and the absence of any statement of the firmware patch required to resolve the chip fault.
Well maybe they will resolve it, as soon as they figure out how to implement it. Have faith. This is a good thing overall. It's better that this can be fixed with a fw update then a cpu change.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.