Repair Crashed drive by Removing SSD Cache drive and installing Larger Drive?

Currently reading
Repair Crashed drive by Removing SSD Cache drive and installing Larger Drive?

NAS
916+, 2411+, 418
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
DS916+ with three 8tb Red WD drives and one 512gig Samsung SSD cache drive.

One of the drives has a System Partition Failed (but healthy) and another Crashed (but healthy). Repair link brings up the dreaded : "Install more drives: Insufficient number of available drives for repair...."

So I was thinking:
  1. I have a new 8tb drive.
  2. Remove the SSD cache drive (Stor-mgr-> Vol 1-> SSD Cach 1 -> ...menu -> click Remove)
  3. Take the SSD cache drive out of NAS.
  4. Put in new 8td drive
  5. Click repair in storage manager?
Does that sound like a good plan of attack? Or is there a simpler way?

Is there a doc that points to this specific method?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-02 065526.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-02 065526.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 542
Does that sound like a good plan of attack? Or is there a simpler way?
Sure. But also keep in mind that this issue might have happened due to power supply problem.

Can you hear the clicking sound on the drives? If not then it might not be a power problem but just saying as failing multiple drives at the same time could indicate this.

Definitely start with replacing the crashed drive and fix the system partition on the second one using the storage manager.

Thanks - Good thinking on the ps. Both drives happened at the same time - so you may be 100% correct. I may replace that just to be safe.

That said, I've been using it (backing it up) continuously since it went down and not run into an issue yet.

Nor is it my first rodeo (4 nas's here), but it is the first time with an SSD cache in the mix. Given the Synology history of random *hit happening, I think it is prudent to be safe. lol

Just can't wait until I can replace all the drives with ssds.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.