Replace 4TB drive with 8TB in DS918+

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi everyone,

I have a Client's DS918+ with 4 hdds, 1 x 8TB and 1 x 4TB for storing backups. 2 x 4TB drives in Raid 1 for other stuff.

The 1 x 4TB is getting full so I'm replacing it with an 8TB drive.

How can I replace it with the 8TB drive without losing any data?

Also, can I format the 8TB in my own DS918+ to save some time?

Cheers.

Hi Rusty,

The Drives are:

Drive 1 = 8TB, basic drive.
Drive 2 = 4TB, basic drive, this is the one to be REPLACED with the 8TB new drive.
Drives 3 and 4 are 4TB each in Raid 1.

So only Drive 2 is changing.

Thanks, Martin

It may be better for your use case to get a second 8TB drive and uplift the RAID1 set, then expand, and migrate the data on disk2 into the RAID1 volume, then throw in a third 8TB drive in place of disk2.

Whilst it may seem a roundabout way of doing things, you end up with 4x8TB drives, and a possible pathway to RAID5, or 2xRAID1 or you don't wish to go RAID5.

Thanks for the replies, I removed older backups from Drive 2 and moved the remaining backups to the other Volumes.

Installed the 8TB and moved the files back.

PITA.

I wish Synology had a Cloning feature so we could clone an internal drive to an external drive. Then swap them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.