Replace Disc

Currently reading
Replace Disc

NAS
ds415+
Hello.

Im currently running with only 1 Disc and it now broke down on me. I can still access the NAS and the disc. I want to replace the disc with a new one, but here is my question. I have alot of data on the disc that i want to keep. I want to copy this data to the new disc, so how do I do this? Is there a way to replace the Disc so the new disc is set to run the NAS, and have the old one as storage that I can copy from before i throw it out?

Hope it makes sence. Thanks

Im currently running with only 1 Disc and it now broke down on me. I can still access the NAS and the disc.

What do you mean by "broke down"? What happened?

There are different ways to handle this, for example...

If you are using the 415+ in your profile, add a new drive of sufficient size, and create a new pool/volume with that drive.

When that is settled, go to Control Panel/Shared Folders/Edit... and change the location of the shared folders from the old volume to the new volume.

Alternately, you could copy everything off to an external USB drive.

What do you mean by "broke down"? What happened?

There are different ways to handle this, for example...

If you are using the 415+ in your profile, add a new drive of sufficient size, and create a new pool/volume with that drive.

When that is settled, go to Control Panel/Shared Folders/Edit... and change the location of the shared folders from the old volume to the new volume.

Alternately, you could copy everything off to an external USB drive.
The NAS and the disc is flashing constant orange light. It says the disc is dead. I Can still access it though and copy from the drive.
Im not sure i understand what u mean exactly.
I put in the new drive, make a new volume, and change shared folders to the new drive. But does this mean, I then can copy the files from the Old drive to the new drive? And what happens when i take out the Old drive? Will the new drive then run with same settings as the Old?
Copying to a USB is not possible.
I need to change to a new drive and copy some files to the new drive

I put in the new drive, make a new volume, and change shared folders to the new drive. But does this mean, I then can copy the files from the Old drive to the new drive?
After you change the shared folder location to the new volume, the NAS should move all files/folders within a shared folder to the new drive.
what happens when i take out the Old drive? Will the new drive then run with same settings as the Old?
Yes... however, if your NAS volume is in orange state, you should be sure all backups are current before attempting a location change.
The NAS and the disc is flashing constant orange light.
If this is the DS415+ unit... Have you done the "resistor fix". This may solve everything.
https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/1/post/120548

After you change the shared folder location to the new volume, the NAS should move all files/folders within a shared folder to the new drive.

Yes... however, if your NAS volume is in orange state, you should be sure all backups are current before attempting a location change.

If this is the DS415+ unit... Have you done the "resistor fix". This may solve everything.
https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/1/post/120548
Hey mate.

I just bought a new drive, put in and made the new pool. But when i go to settings/shared folders and try and put in the new location, it says disc is write protected due to the disc being broken. I cant force it to set to the new drive.

What do I do then?

Thanks

it says disc is write protected due to the disc being broken
Presumably "broken" refers to the existing (not new) drive. With write-protected source, one choice is to "copy" content to the new drive. That will not preserve packages and settings.

Copying to a USB is not possible.
Certain packages and their settings can be preserved if they are backed up to USB/Cloud/etc. using Hyper Backup. You could then restore to the new volume. Do you have current backups?

Presumably "broken" refers to the existing (not new) drive. With write-protected source, one choice is to "copy" content to the new drive. That will not preserve packages and settings.

Certain packages and their settings can be preserved if they are backed up to USB/Cloud/etc. using Hyper Backup. You could then restore to the new volume. Do you have current backups?
Im not sure i understand what backups you are talking about

If i do decide to start all over from scratch with new dsm, is it possible to copy over files i want to keep (pictues ect), and then install dsm from beginning? Does it need to format the drive when trying to install dsm?
Backups of the failed drive content. Have you ever done that?
No. Well i have a few backups of pictures and some other stuff. But i never made dsm backup

If i do decide to start all over from scratch with new dsm, is it possible to copy over files i want to keep (pictues ect), and then install dsm from beginning?
Your data volume will remain intact, as DSM will install itself on a separate volume that is not visible to the user anyways. Still, what @Telos suggested still stands. Make sure to have a backup on hand.

Your data volume will remain intact, as DSM will install itself on a separate volume that is not visible to the user anyways. Still, what @Telos suggested still stands. Make sure to have a backup on hand.
So what i do is;

1. Copy folders over i want to keep.
2. Backup dsm (is this done with hyper?) to a usb
3. Take out Old drive
4. Install dsm from backup?

2. Backup dsm (is this done with hyper?) to a usb
Some DSM configurations can be backed up using the Update and Restore > Configuration tab. It will allow you to backup most of DSM settings.

A full DSM backup is only possible via Active Backup for Business tool towards a secondary NAS that is also running ABB.

Once you install fresh DSM version you can again use the same process to restore your configuration from that backup.

Some DSM configurations can be backed up using the Update and Restore > Configuration tab. It will allow you to backup most of DSM settings.

A full DSM backup is only possible via Active Backup for Business tool towards a secondary NAS that is also running ABB.

Once you install fresh DSM version you can again use the same process to restore your configuration from that backup.
Allright, let me see if i Got all this correctly.

1. Move folders and files to new drive, and backup dsm settings to the new drive
2. Take the old drive out.
3. Install dsm to the new drive (this doesnt format the drive right?)
4. Restore dsm settings from the backup
5. Move folders and to correct placement
5. Delete the dsm backup (how do i do this?)

Not sure we are on the same page here. This new drive is it an empty drive and not a current volume in your setup?

If so, moving data as a pure copy paste (so no DSM volume on it), will not be smart as once you put it in the NAS and start installing things on it, it will wipe the data completely.

Data volume will remain intact only if the drive has a valid volume on it that was configured by DSM itself.

So explain in more details how the setup of the drives is atm before moving forward.

Not sure we are on the same page here. This new drive is it an empty drive and not a current volume in your setup?

If so, moving data as a pure copy paste (so no DSM volume on it), will not be smart as once you put it in the NAS and start installing things on it, it will wipe the data completely.

Data volume will remain intact only if the drive has a valid volume on it that was configured by DSM itself.

So explain in more details how the setup of the drives is atm before moving forward.
The drive is a completly new drive. And it is surpose to replace the other drive.
I put it in the nas Yesterday and made a new pool with the drive. That is it.

I Can do new dsm, but it would be Nice to keep the settings. There are alot of pictures on it that i need to get to the new drive aswell

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.