replace fans in RS819

Currently reading
replace fans in RS819

I like Noctua fans, I have them everywhere.
as I remember for some my recommendations for the single U cases from Synology, you need really heavy airflow, then silent fans. up to your common environment operation temperature.
But Noctua can do it in both way.

I like Noctua fans, I have them everywhere.
as I remember for some my recommendations for the single U cases from Synology, you need really heavy airflow, then silent fans. up to your common environment operation temperature.
But Noctua can do it in both way.
yeah i may try it i am wondering if it will really help to reduce the noise...

yeah but my faster supermicro is far less noisy. these are really the fans, the hds are pretty silent. i sometimes wonder if i shouln't just by a shelve and a new nas...

I tried to replace all 3 fans with the Noctua mentioned and fan 3 would stop after running for a few minutes. So don't waste your time. Fan 1 and 2 worked fine, but 3 would not. Must be a non-standard pin assignment, though visibly the colors matched and only fan 3 would stop. Weird.

what exact product number of the Noctua fan?

in 40x40x20cm size of fans Noctua has two kind of electric specifications 5V and 12V. Three wires (one for a rpm regulator)
but
original fans in RS819 has been manufactured by Sunon with part no MB40201V2-0000-A99 = 12V/50mA, two wires red(+), black(-)

for such hobby, as is tuning of computers is highly recommended usage of multimeter and be pretty sure, what are you doing. Just to be sure. So don’t waste your time and read before this replacement FAN product specifications. Because you will find, that the Sunon has >30% more airflow capacity than the same Noctua, finally no variable rpm. OFC Noctua is more silent (but in this case with low airflow).

The original fans in my unit are 3 wire: yellow, red, black. they are Sunon, not sure of model. The Noctua were NF-A4X20 FLX. All is good, just posting for a couple of folks who said they would try the swap with the model I used.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.