Replace my 412+

NAS
DS412+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi, I'm looking for an replacement of my old 412+ which I've been quite happy with. Just quite as performance has not always been top notch.
I have in total 5TB available which is probably Ok even in the future as I'm not storing any movies anymore but mainly use it for storing pictures from the iphones of our family.

I have a few questions. Is NVMe worth the investment or would SATA SSD be enough from a performance point of view. What I really would like to get working well is the map and timeline functions to find pictures easily.
I guess 2 SSDs (and 2 NVMe's) mirrored would be ok from a security point of view...

Any combinations suggested to meet my "requirements"?

Thank's a lot. I've been scratching my head a lot around this...

From the oblique reference to maps I guess you're thinking about Photo Station. Just be aware that in DSM 7 there will be no Photo Station as it is replaced by Synology Photos, being more like Moments with a bit of PS thrown in. The bit of PS that hasn't made it is maps view and wasn't in Moments either.

If the photos have embedded tagging then time, date, and place can be extracted and there are views to present photos by these attributes. Though the place view is not overlaid on a map they are just present as a pseudo-folder of photos from 'here'.

For processing the photos what you need is CPU oomph.

I have a few questions. Is NVMe worth the investment or would SATA SSD be enough from a performance point of view. What I really would like to get working well is the map and timeline functions to find pictures easily.
Getting both SSDs (for main bays) and nvme for cache slots will not give you any benefits. Best to mix nvme with HDDs and if you will have an SSD volume then there is no reason to attach a cache to it.

Guessing an upgrade device that you might be looking for your 412 is the current 920+ model. You will feel a great speed upgrade, and if you go with more ram and SSDs inside it, it will be a very nice solution for your needs (and more).

Getting both SSDs (for main bays) and nvme for cache slots will not give you any benefits. Best to mix nvme with HDDs and if you will have an SSD volume then there is no reason to attach a cache to it.

Guessing an upgrade device that you might be looking for your 412 is the current 920+ model. You will feel a great speed upgrade, and if you go with more ram and SSDs inside it, it will be a very nice solution for your needs (and more).
Thank you Rusty! I think I will go with this setup...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.