• Hello Guest! SynoForum.com is celebrating its 5th anniversary! 🥳🎉 Read more...

Replacement Drives + Reusing Drives on a different unit

Currently reading
Replacement Drives + Reusing Drives on a different unit

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hello Everyone,

I will do my best to explain my ask here to avoid any confusion. For the following questions there are two units involved. DS920+ (current unit) and a DS923+ (new unit)

My current unit is a DS920+ with 4x4TB drive, 50% of it is being used as media. Setup as SHR BTRFS. I bought 4x16TB drives for them and would like to replace the drives in my 920 and reuse the 4x4TB drive on my 923. I would like to ask what procedures should I take with replacing the drives or is it as easy as just pulling one drive at a time and let it rebuild and then move on to the next one when rebuild is completed? I read somewhere I should run a data scrub before I start replacing the drives, is that correct? Do I have to deactivate that drive before I pull it, or just pull them and replace with new?

New unit, I want to take the 4x4TB drives I removed from the 920 and put them into the 923. Since I am reusing the drives I technically don't need to run a secure erase but I would like to format it and start from a clean drive. Is that the matter of just setting up the SHR BTRFS configuration and it will wipe the drives for me on setup?

I hope that is not too confusing. Thank you in advance!

Yes, it is as simple as replacing one drive at a time in your DS920+ since your are on SHR. But it takes time rebuilding, it will take some days to replace them all.
You can then install your old drives in the DS923+ and create a new pool from them, DSM will erase contents.

16tb drives are a good and big investment, may I ask why don't you use them in DS923+?

Yes, it is as simple as replacing one drive at a time in your DS920+ since your are on SHR. But it takes time rebuilding, it will take some days to replace them all.
You can then install your old drives in the DS923+ and create a new pool from them, DSM will erase contents.

16tb drives are a good and big investment, may I ask why don't you use them in DS923+?
Thank you so much for answering my questions! I wasn't 100% sure if the scrubbing was required before replacing the drives.

the 920 have a integrated gpu and the 923 doesn't. I use the 920 mainly for media and have a simple plex setup for a handful of family members. I figure since the 923 doesn't, I can use it mainly for data storage.

Last edited:
I wasn't 100% sure if the scrubbing was required before replacing the drives.
It's not required, but a good practice. You should scrub before replacing the first drive, and ideally before every drive replacement. Even Synology recommends this.

One last question, Is it recommended to turn off the device before replacing the drive or it doesn't matter. Some say you can just pull and replace and it start rebuilding and some say you should turn it off.

Is it recommended to turn off the device before replacing the drive or it doesn't matter. Some say you can just pull and replace and it start rebuilding and some say you should turn it off.
Neither. Follow the Synology procedure “Replace a Drive to Expand Storage Pool Capacity”. Specifically the section “To replace a drive when there are no unused drives or empty drive slots”, using drive deactivation.

It's not required, but a good practice. You should scrub before replacing the first drive, and ideally before every drive replacement. Even Synology recommends this.
Hello again, I know this is an old post but I finally got off my butt to actually do this. been procrastinating.

I scrubbed before replacing the first drive. When you put in the new drive it repair and then scrub during the process. When it completes, Should I scrub it again before replacing the 2nd drive? Should be my last question and once again thank you for everything!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.