Replacement for Synology Photos/Photostation?

Currently reading
Replacement for Synology Photos/Photostation?

NAS
DS923+ (16GB)
Router
  1. RT6600ax
Operating system
  1. Windows
Synology Photostation is no more with DSM 7 as you all know. "Photos" is a huge disappointment, I really try to like "Photos" but I can't at the moment.
So, here comes the question.. is there a decent replacement? I liked Photostation alot so something similar to that would be nice. And something easy to install aswell that doesn't require "hacking" using Putty or similar..
What does people use? A simple system for browsing/tagging/sharing photos.

is there a decent replacement?
This sounds like you are asking for a 3rd party application. However:
And something easy to install aswell that doesn't require "hacking" using Putty or similar..
the best scenario of using 3rd party apps on a NAS is using Docker actually.... I'm not familiar of any alternative in the Synology packages center.

Syno Photo station is death project more than 2y
Syno Moments was disappointment for all photographers
and Syno Photos seems to be is again targeted to : make, save but don’t try to use, ofc except sharing ... again mostly for smartphone source only
.. no extended search filters like: used lens, panorama format, camera, ... everything what is useful from metadata stored

yes, it’s a heavy fact, that billions of smartphone cameras make impact or demand for the NAS photo servers targeting and changing of the App behavior.

regarding Docker containers. Just don’t try to find keywords like “docker images management” ... because you will find a lot of links :) out of your interest

So there is one choice in my list to try:
Piwigo, maintained container by linuxserver team
with large extension environments
one of the great feature - when you change (reorganize) destination (folders, files), you don’t lose metadata created by this organizer for the moved photo (try this in Moments, seems to be same in new Photos)
+ API for an integration with your web CMS (Wordpress, ...)

Look also at this one

PicApport | The self-hosted private photo server with photo gallery and photo management

it looks quite interesting, I haven't try this, but looks VERY good,
many more features than PhotoStation/
there is a Docker image.
I'm not sure however, how active the development will be.

( I'm not enough comfortable to use Docker in my Synology
and had a hard time to run Piwigo with Podman in a test Fedora Server. Maybe try this one also).

I don't want to take this thread off on a tangent, but as long as we're here...

I have only loaded the docker piwigo image, I have not created any other folders.

When I tried logging in with this yesterday, I got a failed connection error. Today, the server times out. Also, the piwigo requirements page says a web server is required. Is there a default web server in DSM that is already active? This requirement is why I thought I'd need Web Station.

1610134743042.png

1610134692906.png

Attachments

• 1610134679073.png
    1610134679073.png
    49.6 KB · Views: 391
I don't know about docker, but I thought that the docker image contains what is required. Or sometimes not the database?

I had installed it recently on a test Fedora Server setup on an old PC. I Used a Docker image on Podman. I am not sure if I had set a database pod seperetaly, but definitely I had not set up a web server, so I supposed it was included in the Docker image.

When I tried logging in with this yesterday, I got a failed connection error. Today, the server times out. Also, the piwigo requirements page says a web server is required. Is there a default web server in DSM that is already active? This requirement is why I thought I'd need Web Station.
running it in docker you will only need a DB to connect to, everything else that piwigo needs will be inside its image.

I don't want to take this thread off on a tangent, but as long as we're here...

I have only loaded the docker piwigo image, I have not created any other folders.

DSM comes with a built in reverse proxy. Just point your router port 80 and 443 to DSM and with the reverse proxy send it to the piwigo port.

@NAS Newbie
let me guess:
1. do you have installed MySQL or Maria DB in your NAS (better by container)?
2. if no, then you have answer

btw, when you will use keywords in Google “piwigo docker”, it will show you a way
then here:
and you have complete guide done

as was written, the webserver and necessary services you have already in your NAS

@NAS Newbie
let me guess:
1. do you have installed MySQL or Maria DB in your NAS (better by container)?
2. if no, then you have answer

btw, when you will use keywords in Google “piwigo docker”, it will show you a way

then here:

and you have complete guide done

as was written, the webserver and necessary services you have already in your NAS
I have googled that before, and I have come across your second link on my own. My problem is that I don't know where the mysql is supposed to come from or go to, and I don't know where/how I'm supposed to be installing it. Some sites talk about ssh, while others talk about using the docker gui somehow. Believe me, my questions here are not being asked out of laziness; my browser history is full of pages trying to find a complete resource, but I have not yet found it.

I could join a docker-specific forum I suppose, but I'm already familiar with and respect the users here.

I'll start digging into those too. Docker has tons of potential and I see lots of things I want to do, but the initial setup for many of the apps is not nearly as simple as I expected. I installed bitwarden and unifi with relatively little issue, and I guess I expected the rest be about the same.

docker is for some easy and for some too heavy
you need start from beginning of Lnx principles, then next stage is understand DSM, third level is Docker. Don’t mix them. Try Udemy or something like that for the initial steps (lot of garbage you can find there). A try it step by step.
Starting with Docker w/o Linux basic is like building of house from a roof.
You can do it by some guide, but blind setup is really dangerous, when you don’t have a clue what you do. For entire security of your ecosystem.
Docker isn’t kind of electric drill with single button. Don’t take it personally. Docker w/o basic is pain road.

docker is for some easy and for some too heavy
you need start from beginning of Lnx principles, then next stage is understand DSM, third level is Docker. Don’t mix them. Try Udemy or something like that for the initial steps (lot of garbage you can find there). A try it step by step.
Starting with Docker w/o Linux basic is like building of house from a roof.
You can do it by some guide, but blind setup is really dangerous, when you don’t have a clue what you do. For entire security of your ecosystem.
Docker isn’t kind of electric drill with single button. Don’t take it personally. Docker w/o basic is pain road.
lol. yeah, I am concerned about making sure I can properly manage the containers once I get them up and running.

The problem is, I've seen what they can do, and I'm not happy with moments and it sounds like most people aren't happy with the new Photos. I will definitely look into basic docker/linux setup more.

After reading your comments and reflecting back on my previous questions about different containers, my questions were being asked more along the lines of "I don't know what I don't know". Meaning, I didn't know if I missed a simple option in the image creation within docker and only needed some simple tweaks, or if my problem was deeper and I was going to need a more in-depth understanding of linux and docker setup to get to where I want to be. After reading your comments, I think I'm going to have to do more research on the basics of docker and then start tackling my issues.

Agreed, PicApport looks to be the best of PhotoStation plus Moments. Assuming you have installed Docker on your Diskstation (you should if your model supports it) you can look in the Docker "registry" for containers. My problem is that there are a number of containers listed for PicApport - but no 'official' one (meaning updating the app's going to be a PITA). The different containers have different user names associated with them, so these might be containers that these folks have installed PicApport into that they're sharing (don't 100% understand the Docker container ecosystem). Seems like any of these, even though it'll be a bear to upgrade, and so will stay whatever version you install, would be an improvement over PhotoStation (nevermind the new Photos).
Looks to be time for me to dig in to installing apps into Docker containers. Can't be all that hard - and it'll give me a leg up when I need to update to a new version...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.