Replacing drives with larger ones and gaining more space

Currently reading
Replacing drives with larger ones and gaining more space

I have 4 x 6TB drives in a raid 6 with a btfs file system, can i replace the drives one at a time until each rebuilds with 14 TB drives, when and how many drives do i need to replace to get any extra space? How does the extra space present itself, is it just unnallocated space that I make a seond volune from?

Thanks

JD

I have 4*4TB and wish I could afford to upgrade to 4*8TB. How do you afford 14TB drives? I can’t just plunk down $1,600+ on a purchase like that. 😕

How do you afford 14TB drives?

Some shuck drives from WD Elements or WD Easystore... For example, you can get 12TB for 240 USD, or 14TB for 290 USD... even better on promotions... but it is a gamble.

Then there is the question of how/where you back up all that stuff. RAID is not a substitute for backup.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.