Replacing DS212J -time to move to DSM 7 and Synology Photos?

Currently reading
Replacing DS212J -time to move to DSM 7 and Synology Photos?

NAS
DS212J, DS218+, DS220+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Not even sure if I'm posting this in the right place - it's partly DSM and partly Photo Station. Mods, I'm sure you'll move as appropriate.

This is very noob stuff, I started with Synology several years ago, and I think I had a better understanding then! For years I've just stored photos...

I have used a DS212J for many years, mainly as a photo repository. Over a year ago, I decided it was time to upgrade, and bought a DS218+, set it up with DSM 6.2.4-25556 Update 3. Before I could start loading photos (and other bits), life intervened and it has been left idle for many months. It's finally time to get back to doing something with it, so I have a few questions - some I would have had anyway, some due to the time that has passed:

Should I now just update to DSM 7.x? As I haven't used it at all, this sounds like a no brainer. I'm pretty sure that this would mean changing from Photo Station to Synology Photos as well (?) but again, this must be the time to make the switch, right?

Whichever DSM I use, are there any particular recommendations for moving the photos from the DS212J?

Finally, I always used to use Synology Photo Uploader to load new photos. Does this have any advantage over just copying them in folders? It did seem to take a very long time. I used to think that it created thumbnnails as part of the process, but I have no idea why I thought that!

TIA

Should I now just update to DSM 7.x? As I haven't used it at all, this sounds like a no brainer. I'm pretty sure that this would mean changing from Photo Station to Synology Photos as well (?) but again, this must be the time to make the switch, right?
Yes on both accounts. DSM7 has been out for 1,5y now so really starting fresh should be a no brainer indeed

Finally, I always used to use Synology Photo Uploader to load new photos. Does this have any advantage over just copying them in folders?
Just copy the photos to the Photos folder once you get the new Photos app up and running. The folder in use will be inside your dsm user folder. The root photos folder (the one in the root off the volume) will be used for shared content. so make sure to initially copy data inside your personal Photos su folder in order to see them inside the app

Upvote 0
Yes on both accounts. DSM7 has been out for 1,5y now so really starting fresh should be a no brainer indeed

Just copy the photos to the Photos folder once you get the new Photos app up and running. The folder in use will be inside your dsm user folder. The root photos folder (the one in the root off the volume) will be used for shared content. so make sure to initially copy data inside your personal Photos su folder in order to see them inside the app
Thanks for the quick reply - I saw the email notification just after I posted, but haven't been back online until now.

OK, here goes with the changes - I'm sure I'll be back with more questions...

So, while I'm doing that - what exactly is the purpose of Synology Photo Uploader, apart from to copy photos into a folder very slowly?

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back