Replacing HDD on DS1520+

NAS
DS218, DS212+,DS212,DS210j
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Morning All,
I have DS1520+ configured with DSM 7.1-42661 with the following HDDs: 3-2TB, 1-8TB, and 1-6TB with SHR, Volume 1, and Volume 2 in Storage Pool 2 (no storage pool 1). BTW, the only reason for the 2 volumes is my lack of knowledge when initially setting up the NAS.
Configuration is:
Drive 1 - 2 TB - Drive Reconnection Count 2 (but SMART extended test says it is healthy)
Drive 2 - 2 TB - Drive Reconnection Count 1 (but SMART extended test says it is healthy)
Drive 3 - 2 TB - Drive Reconnection Count 0 (but SMART extended test says it is healthy)
Drive 4 - 8 TB - Drive Reconnection Count 0 (but SMART extended test says it is healthy)
Drive 5 - 6 TB - Drive Reconnection Count 0 (but SMART extended test says it is healthy)
Bad Sector Count and Drive Re-Identification Count are 0 on all drives
My questions:
1. Is it true that if I hot-swap drive 1 and drive 2 I should replace drive 1 first (because it has 2 counts) and then drive 1?
2. Should I use "Replace a Drive to Prevent Storage Pool Degradation" or "Replace a Drive to Expand Storage Pool Capacity"?
3. DSM 7.1 Help says to back up the HDD one is replacing the defective HDD. I know how to back up the entire NAS to my USB drive, but how do I backup one drive in the 5 drive array?
4. Is there a way to combine my two volumes into one volume w/o backing up the entire array?
5. Lastly, do I even need to worry about the errors reported in Drive 1 and Drive 2
Thanks,
Harold

Is it true that if I hot-swap drive 1 and drive 2 I should replace drive 1 first (because it has 2 counts) and then drive 1?
In this case it won’t matter. Reconnection marks are very low and only one value apart

Should I use "Replace a Drive to Prevent Storage Pool Degradation" or "Replace a Drive to Expand Storage Pool Capacity"?
Depends what you want in the end

DSM 7.1 Help says to back up the HDD one is replacing the defective HDD. I know how to back up the entire NAS to my USB drive, but how do I backup one drive in the 5 drive array?
In what exact context was this written? What Kb article is it?

Is there a way to combine my two volumes into one volume w/o backing up the entire array?
Any existing arrays need to be destroyed before you can make new pools/volumes

Lastly, do I even need to worry about the errors reported in Drive 1 and Drive 2
Not unless the errors keep happening. Are you running a UPS behind this NAS?

In this case it won’t matter. Reconnection marks are very low and only one value apart
Rusty, thanks for the quick response.
Depends what you want in the end
Since the error count isn't excessive (yet), I will continue to run with all existing drives.
In what exact context was this written? What Kb article is it?
I don't recall. I searched in the Synology KB and read the article.
Any existing arrays need to be destroyed before you can make new pools/volumes
Got it. TKX.
Not unless the errors keep happening. Are you running a UPS behind this NAS?
No UPS.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.