Currently reading
Replacing Non-Verified Drives

Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi There!

Just wondering if it is possible to replace Non-Verified HDD's in a Synology RS2421+ (Drives Were Migrated From A DS2413+) with Larger Drives that are still NOT on the Verified Compatibility List? Also wondering if you are allowed to Expand your Storage Pool with drives that are NOT on the Verified Compatibility List?

Just not sure to what extent Synology has locked these XX21/XX22 RS models down. If all it is, is the "Critical Warning" always being displayed and no SMART Data I may be willing to Roll the Dice to cut the drive cost in half from the Synology branded equivalent sizes.

Thanks!

You could manually edit the file to add your drives to the compatibility list, it will revert back to "stock" after upgrades/major upgrades, but its not very complicated. There may be a thread here too, but a quick google search shows this thread with instructions.

I may be willing to Roll the Dice to cut the drive cost in half from the Synology branded equivalent sizes.
As long as the drives are not listed on the 2421 compatibility list as "incompatible" you should be able to use them. Not being on the list means they are not officially test. But if they are listed as incompatible, then you will hit a brick wall.

Editing the DSM compatibility list might get you in trouble in the long run as well, so use it at your own risk.

Thanks Guys…. Ya I wasn’t too keen on modding any of the system files. Especially if you have to keep redoing it after DSM Updates. I think I’ll look at non verified drives since I can literally get 2 of them for the price of 1 Synology branded one in equivalent sizes.

I think Synology is shooting themselves in the foot with their drive & RAM pricing. Paying a 200% Synology tax is not going to help hardware or HDD sales.

With DSM 7.1 you will get back the SMART values and the warning level will be reduced on these locked models.
I am not sure about the disk upgrade thing but have a good chance with these changes.

You can have all your drive data without editing the Synology compatibility list, or replacing drives, with this free tool...

Last edited:
A month ago,on 720+ with 7.1.1, one of two SeagateBaraccuda’s started acting up. To point where I deemed it needing to be swapped. Had 2 spares, so why not?
I'm not certain if it was drive type or firmware (had patched firmware from Seagate) that 720+ didn’t like, during SHR install (Said not compatible) but I used it anyway.. replacement drive was same model, same firmware, and again prompted same not compatible message, but I again used it anyway. Works fine to this day!

Thanks Guys…. Ya I wasn’t too keen on modding any of the system files. Especially if you have to keep redoing it after DSM Updates. I think I’ll look at non verified drives since I can literally get 2 of them for the price of 1 Synology branded one in equivalent sizes.

I think Synology is shooting themselves in the foot with their drive & RAM pricing. Paying a 200% Synology tax is not going to help hardware or HDD sales.
Many of us do not like this direction - as Synology "branded" drives are simply relabeled Toshiba drives. It will be interesting to see if they start seeing any financial impact from locking down.

If all it is, is the "Critical Warning" always being displayed and no SMART Data I may be willing to Roll the Dice
There is also invented solution for Synology “blended” SMART data handling:
Steps:
- don’t ask support from official Syno channels. They don’t understand SMART basics.
- read carefully entire thread to understand and enjoy your SMART support

As was written- you don’t need to use Syno GUI (DSM) for SMART monitoring - it’s pointless and amateurish (SMART integration)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.